Piston force required (Disk brake system)

In summary: It is indeed a good idea to consider the torque on the screw. Although, I was looking at a slightly different approach. I attached the files that explain it in my previous reply if you want to take a look at those :)I have looked at the files and I understand the approach. Although, I am not sure if I will be able to find a motor/gearbox combination that will work. I am looking at a hydraulic cylinder that would turn the screw. I don't know how much torque it would take to turn the wheel.If you can estimate how much torque it takes to turn the wheel, you can likely find a motor with a gearbox that could turn it for...If you can
jsg94
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project where we need to change the little manual wheel (shown by red arrow) and replace it by a cylinder (either pneumatic or hydraulic). Right now, when the manual wheel is adjusted by rotating it to the right, the contracting rim will come closer together, which slows down the shaft that is rotating the white fabric seen in the image. What I'm trying to figure out is how to calculate the output force needed by the piston in order to successfully bring the contracting rim closer together.

I was looking for some ideas and I found the second image in this PDF (page 6) https://www3.nd.edu/~manufact/FME_pdf_files/FME3_Ch18.pdf [Broken]. The rims are not in the same location, but I guess that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. I attached a third image just in case.

I would really appreciate any ideas and general equations to estimate de force required by the piston, so I can select one with the right force range.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Photo Jul 22, 11 06 23 AM.jpg

Disk brakes.PNG

Photo Jul 22, 11 31 38 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
jack action said:
You show a disc brake, but you seem to have a band brake or a block/shoe brake.

I attached a small 30 sec video for better reference. What do you think? Block/shoe?
Thank you so much for your time.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/175896622

It looks like a block/shoe, but I can't see much. If you want to make some calculations, you will have to take it apart to get measurements. It must be relatively easy because I would guess it should be done regularly for maintenance.

Another (easier) way would be to measure the required force directly. You could also just measure the torque needed to turn the wheel and you can convert this to the applied force (quick estimate, detailed calculations).

Likes Ketch22
Jack's recommend to calculate using the torque on the existing screw is a good one. If you are replacing the screw with a piston type actuator the hydraulic side of the piston will be pressure adjustable to fine tune the braking required. As long as the piston is of adequate size to provide close to the correct effort the rest will come afterwards.

jack action said:
It looks like a block/shoe, but I can't see much. If you want to make some calculations, you will have to take it apart to get measurements. It must be relatively easy because I would guess it should be done regularly for maintenance.

Another (easier) way would be to measure the required force directly. You could also just measure the torque needed to turn the wheel and you can convert this to the applied force (quick estimate, detailed calculations).

Thank you for those links. I didn't think about considering the screw torque before, that is a good idea!

I was doing some additional research and it occurred to me to take a look at my "Machine Elements in Mechanical Design" book by Robert L. Mott. I didn't have access to it during the week, so I had to wait until this weekend to read it. Anyways, there's a chapter on Clutches and Brakes and I found a brake similar to the one I'm working on but without the solenoid (I attached a picture from the book), and instead of the spring I have the screw which I'm looking to replace with a piston. They describe it as a long shoe drum brake. I also attached the section of the chapter that covers that topic.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow and I'll let you know the approach we take!

Thank you again.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 24, 3 07 58 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 24, 3 07 58 PM.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 408
  • long shoe drum brakes.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,326
Ketch22 said:
Jack's recommend to calculate using the torque on the existing screw is a good one. If you are replacing the screw with a piston type actuator the hydraulic side of the piston will be pressure adjustable to fine tune the braking required. As long as the piston is of adequate size to provide close to the correct effort the rest will come afterwards.

It is indeed a good idea to consider the torque on the screw. Although, I was looking at a slightly different approach. I attached the files that explain it in my previous reply if you want to take a look at those :) And yes, we do need to adjust the pressure so I've been looking for proportional valves that receive a signal range from 4 to 20 mA, so the input current will be proportional to the output pressure exerted by the piston.

Have you considered turning the screw using a motor/gearbox combination? If you can estimate how much torque it takes to turn the wheel, you can likely find a motor with a gearbox that could turn it for you...

1. What is a disk brake system?

A disk brake system is a type of braking system commonly used in vehicles, where a rotor (or disk) attached to the wheel is squeezed between two brake pads to slow down or stop the vehicle.

2. How does a disk brake system work?

When the brake pedal is pressed, hydraulic pressure is applied to the brake caliper, which houses the brake pads. The brake pads then clamp down on the rotor, creating friction and slowing down the vehicle.

3. What is piston force in a disk brake system?

Piston force refers to the amount of pressure exerted by the brake pads onto the rotor. This force is crucial in creating enough friction to slow down or stop the vehicle.

4. How is the required piston force calculated in a disk brake system?

The required piston force is calculated by taking into account factors such as the vehicle's weight, speed, and the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and rotor. This calculation is usually done by engineers during the design and testing phase of a brake system.

5. What happens if the piston force is too low in a disk brake system?

If the piston force is too low, the brake pads will not be able to create enough friction to slow down or stop the vehicle effectively. This can result in longer stopping distances and potentially dangerous situations. It is important to regularly check and maintain the brake system to ensure proper piston force is being applied.