Constraint on a linear system?

So the two solutions are [itex]<-2(0), 0, 0>= <0, 0, 0>[/itex] and [itex]<-2(-1/2), -1/2, 0>= <1, -1/2, 0>[/itex].In summary, the solutions
bonfire09
The question goes like this.
Among all solutions that satisfy the homogeneous system
x + 2y + z = 0
2x + 4y + z = 0
x + 2y − z = 0
determine those that also satisfy the nonlinear constraint y − xy = 2z

I know that one of the solutions [0,0,0] but I'm not sure how to find the others. I row reduced the linear system and its general solution is x=y[-2,1,0].

Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:
The question goes like this.
Among all solutions that satisfy the homogeneous system
x + 2y + z = 0
2x + 4y + z = 0
x + 2y − z = 0
determine those that also satisfy the nonlinear constraint y − xy = 2z

I know that one of the solutions [0,0,0] but I'm not sure how to find the others. I row reduced the linear system and its general solution is x=y[-2,1,0].

So the general solution to your system of equations is t<-2, 1, 0>, where t is any real number. Another way to write this is <-2t, t, 0>. Does this satisfy your constraint for some value of t?

oh -1/2<-2,1,0>=<1,-1/2,0> is another solution to the constraint.

i think so.

You have already said that any solution to the linear equations must have x= -2t, y= t, z= 0. (I did not check that.)

Now you also want to require that y- xy= 2z which is just t- (2t)(t)= 0 or [itex]t- 2t^2= 0[/tex]. That's a quadratic equation and has two solutions.

1. What is a constraint on a linear system?

A constraint on a linear system is a condition or limitation that restricts the possible solutions or behavior of the system. It can be represented mathematically as an inequality or an equation.

2. Why are constraints important in linear systems?

Constraints are important in linear systems because they help to define the boundaries within which the system operates. They ensure that the solutions or behavior of the system are realistic and feasible.

3. How do constraints affect the solution of a linear system?

Constraints can affect the solution of a linear system in several ways. They can restrict the possible solutions, making some solutions infeasible. They can also change the nature of the solutions, such as making them unique or multiple.

4. What are some common types of constraints in linear systems?

Some common types of constraints in linear systems include boundary conditions, resource limitations, and physical limitations. Other types include non-negativity constraints, budget constraints, and time constraints.

5. Can a linear system have multiple constraints?

Yes, a linear system can have multiple constraints. In fact, most real-world problems involve multiple constraints that must be satisfied simultaneously. These constraints can interact with each other, making the solution of the system more complex.