Constructing a 2nd order homogenous DE given fundamental solution

In summary, the steps to construct a 2nd order homogenous DE given a fundamental solution are: 1) Determine the general form of the DE 2) Use the fundamental solution to find the particular solution 3) Add the complementary function to the particular solution to find the general solution 4) Use initial conditions to determine the constants in the general solution. A fundamental solution is a specific solution that satisfies the DE and its derivatives up to the order of the DE. The particular solution is found by substituting the fundamental solution into the DE and solving for the remaining unknown constants. The complementary function is the solution obtained by setting the coefficient of the highest order derivative to 0, and it is added to the particular solution to find the
sagamore4110

Homework Statement

Given a set of fundamental solutions {ex*sinx*cosx, ex*cos(2x)}

Homework Equations

y''+p(x)y'+q(x)=0
det W(y1,y2) =Ce-∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the determinant of the matrix to get
e2x[cos(2x)cosxsinx-2sin(2x)sinxcosx-cos(2x)sinxcosx- cos2xcos(2x)+sin2xcos(2x)

Then using the identities sin2x+cos2x = 1 (for the last 2 terms) and sin(2x) = 2sinx*cosx (for the second term) and cancelling the 2 "cos(2x)cosxsinx" (first and third terms) I got
-e2x(sin2x+cos(2x))

Setting this equal to Ce-∫p(x)dx and trying to solve I got as far as
ln(-e2x(sin2x+cos(2x))/C) = -∫p(x)dx

and now I'm a little bit stuck, I also don't know how to solve for q(x) here. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sagamore4110 said:

Homework Statement

Given a set of fundamental solutions {ex*sinx*cosx, ex*cos(2x)}

Homework Equations

y''+p(x)y'+q(x)=0
det W(y1,y2) =Ce-∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the determinant of the matrix to get
e2x[cos(2x)cosxsinx-2sin(2x)sinxcosx-cos(2x)sinxcosx- cos2xcos(2x)+sin2xcos(2x)

Then using the identities sin2x+cos2x = 1 (for the last 2 terms) and sin(2x) = 2sinx*cosx (for the second term) and cancelling the 2 "cos(2x)cosxsinx" (first and third terms) I got
-e2x(sin2x+cos(2x))

Setting this equal to Ce-∫p(x)dx and trying to solve I got as far as
ln(-e2x(sin2x+cos(2x))/C) = -∫p(x)dx

and now I'm a little bit stuck, I also don't know how to solve for q(x) here. Thanks for the help!
Your work seems like the long way around -- there's a much simpler way. Your fundamental set could also be ##\{e^x\sin(2x), e^x\cos(2x) \}##. The fundamental set as given and this one both span identical function spaces, and are bases for the same space.

It's also helpful to recognize that yet another basis would suffice: ##\{e^xe^{2ix}, e^xe^{-2ix} \} = \{e^{(1 + 2i)x}, e^{(1 - 2i)x} \}##. All three of these fundamental sets span the same solution space, and are bases for it.

Finally, if your fundamental set were ##\{ e^{r_1t}, e^{r_2t}\}##, do you understand that ##r_1## and ##r_2## are solutions to the quadratic characteristic equation? If so, you can work backwards from the characteristic equation to the homogeneous diff. equation with very little work.

Likes sagamore4110
Mark44 said:
Your work seems like the long way around -- there's a much simpler way. Your fundamental set could also be ##\{e^x\sin(2x), e^x\cos(2x) \}##. The fundamental set as given and this one both span identical function spaces, and are bases for the same space.

It's also helpful to recognize that yet another basis would suffice: ##\{e^xe^{2ix}, e^xe^{-2ix} \} = \{e^{(1 + 2i)x}, e^{(1 - 2i)x} \}##. All three of these fundamental sets span the same solution space, and are bases for it.

Finally, if your fundamental set were ##\{ e^{r_1t}, e^{r_2t}\}##, do you understand that ##r_1## and ##r_2## are solutions to the quadratic characteristic equation? If so, you can work backwards from the characteristic equation to the homogeneous diff. equation with very little work.

I actually realized this shortly after posting the problem, but wouldn't sinx*cosx end up with the solution being 1/2*ex*sin(2x)? That's the next part I got stuck on. I completed the problem using only 1+/-2i to get the quadratic in hopes for partial credit and got y''-2y'+3/2

sagamore4110 said:
I actually realized this shortly after posting the problem, but wouldn't sinx*cosx end up with the solution being 1/2*ex*sin(2x)?
Yes, it would, but it wouldn't matter. Constant multiples of the two original functions will still be a fundamental set (i.e., a basis for the solution space), so the constant 1/2 doesn't need to be included.
sagamore4110 said:
That's the next part I got stuck on. I completed the problem using only 1+/-2i to get the quadratic in hopes for partial credit and got y''-2y'+3/2
That's not the correct DE. Its characteristic equation would be ##r^2 - 2r + 3/2 = 0##, and the roots of that equation aren't 1 +/- 2i.

Last edited:

What are the steps to construct a 2nd order homogenous DE given a fundamental solution?

The first step is to determine the general form of the DE, which can be done by looking at the highest order derivative present. Next, the fundamental solution is used to find the particular solution. Then, the general solution is found by adding the particular solution to the complementary function, which is obtained by setting the coefficient of the highest order derivative to 0. Finally, the initial conditions are used to determine the constants in the general solution.

What is a fundamental solution in relation to DE construction?

A fundamental solution is a specific solution to a homogenous differential equation that can be used to find the general solution. It satisfies the DE and its derivatives up to the order of the DE.

How is the particular solution found using the fundamental solution?

The particular solution is found by substituting the fundamental solution into the DE and solving for the remaining unknown constants.

What is the complementary function in the construction of a 2nd order homogenous DE?

The complementary function is the solution to the homogenous DE that is obtained by setting the coefficient of the highest order derivative to 0. It is added to the particular solution to find the general solution.

Why are initial conditions necessary for constructing a 2nd order homogenous DE?

Initial conditions are necessary for determining the values of the constants in the general solution. These conditions represent the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point, and they help to uniquely define the solution to the DE.