Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    Hello PF members
    This is my first post. It is rather complicated to understand but I request you to bear with me.

The Problem: I have a theorem in my book, the proof of which I do not understand fully. The theorem may be viewed http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...9jZDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1" (The book is: Finite commutative rings and their applications By Gilberto Bini, Flaminio Flamini The theorem is on Page 24).

My specific problem is as follows:
    We are given a monic polynomial [tex]h_m(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[x][/tex] irreducible over [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[/tex] such that [tex]h_m(x)|x^k-1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[x][/tex]. The theorem calls for constructing a unique, irreducible monic polynomial [tex]h_{m+1}(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex] which divides [tex]x^k-1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex].

The proof in the book runs as follows:
    I have no problems uptil this point in the proof

My major problem is with the next two lines (Underlined portion specially):

I don't understand what the monic polynomial referred to is? If it is the polynomial with roots all of the type [tex]\beta^p[/tex] how come [tex]\beta^p\equiv \alpha(mod p^m)[/tex]. This equivalence of roots of the monic polynomial and of [tex]h_m(x)[/tex] is very crucial as the next line also seems to be related to it

For the life of me I can't understand why this polynomial is irreducible.

The proof then goes on to establish the uniqueness of such an [tex]h_{m+1}(x)[/tex].

I'll be very extremely grateful if someone points me in the right direction. Thank you for your time (all those who have read the whole post).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't Hensel's lemma say h was monic?

Have you pondered what would happen if if h was reducible?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook