1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing time-independent wave function with given energies

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know how to construct a Time-independent wave function with given energies and probability on obtaining energies.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you asking about constructing an initial wave function, [tex]\Psi (x,0)[/tex], for a particle in a potential given that information?

If so, what you are describing can be done by using the expansion theorem. Using that theorem, you can express a general time-independent wave function as an infinite sum of the energy eigenstates:

[tex]| \Psi > = \sum_n^{\infty} C_n |n> [/tex]

where [tex]|n> [/tex] is the wave function for the energy E_n and C_n is the probability for measuring that energy.

I can't offer anything more specific given that information, but if you have a homework problem or something similar involving this, please post it in the homework help forum and I'll help you if I can.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    I found out the Coefficient expansion theorem and constructed the following wavefunction:

Ψ(x,0) = 1/sqrt(2)*φ1 + sqrt(2/5)*φ3 + 1/sqrt(10)*φ5
    where φn = sqrt(2/a)*sin(n*pi*x/a)

Is this unique why or why not? I'm thinking that it has something to do with all odd Energies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?