• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Contacting Researchers- Etiquette

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have found a person of interest on linkedin that I wish to contact in regards to her research. She has a google plus account, which I would like to contact her through. Would it be appropriate to send her a message telling her I'm interested in the research she is doing? What would be the best way to go about this?

Answers and Replies

jk
What is the purpose of contacting this person?

well linked in is more anonymous as than a direct email as linkedin doesn't give you the email and she can refuse.

Purpose- I'm trying to find more out about a research team she is conducting/coordinating regarding the Miller-Urey Experiment in a microgravity environment. It's relatively new and the only info I can find just says what the experiment is and the test data will be coming back in 2012.

Curious3141
Homework Helper
Purpose- I'm trying to find more out about a research team she is conducting/coordinating regarding the Miller-Urey Experiment in a microgravity environment. It's relatively new and the only info I can find just says what the experiment is and the test data will be coming back in 2012.
If this person has published work and is the corresponding author, the email address should be provided in the paper. That's OK to use. Anything else - a little creepy.

jk
If you're just interested in the research, I would just write an email asking for information.

Thanks. She is the 1st person listed for correspondence from a Goldschmidt conference.