1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contacting Researchers- Etiquette

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    I have found a person of interest on linkedin that I wish to contact in regards to her research. She has a google plus account, which I would like to contact her through. Would it be appropriate to send her a message telling her I'm interested in the research she is doing? What would be the best way to go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

jk

What is the purpose of contacting this person?

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

well linked in is more anonymous as than a direct email as linkedin doesn't give you the email and she can refuse.

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    Purpose- I'm trying to find more out about a research team she is conducting/coordinating regarding the Miller-Urey Experiment in a microgravity environment. It's relatively new and the only info I can find just says what the experiment is and the test data will be coming back in 2012.

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If this person has published work and is the corresponding author, the email address should be provided in the paper. That's OK to use. Anything else - a little creepy.

7. Sep 30, 2012 #6

jk

If you're just interested in the research, I would just write an email asking for information.

8. Sep 30, 2012 #7
    Thanks. She is the 1st person listed for correspondence from a Goldschmidt conference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook