How can continued fractions be used to prove a deep result in mathematics?

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses using a provided equation to prove a continued fraction involving positive real numbers. Various attempts are made using different approaches, until the suggestion of setting a=2α and b=β leads to a successful solution. The conversation concludes with a humorous note about the importance of receiving help in mathematics.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Let x be any positive real number and suppose that ##x^2-ax-b=0## where ##a,b## are positive. I would like to use the equation that I provided in relevant equations which I proved to prove that
$$
\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+\beta}=\alpha+\cfrac{\beta}{2 \alpha+\cfrac{\beta}{2 \alpha+\cfrac{\beta}{2\alpha+\ddots}}}
$$
where ##\alpha,\beta>0##.

Homework Equations

I proved that
$$
x=a+\cfrac{b}{a+\cfrac{b}{a+\cfrac{b}{a+\ddots}}}.
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do things like find values of ##a,b## so that when I transformed the equation ##x^{2}-ax-b=0## into a continued fraction that I would get the desired continued fraction with ##x=\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+\beta}## but that didn't work out.

I also tried changing ##\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+\beta}## directly into a continued fraction using the canonical continued fraction algorithm but I then had to consider different values of ##\beta## which would give me different continued fractions that I didn't really know how to combine to create the desired continued fraction.

I tried to plug ##x=\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+\beta}## into ##x^{2}-ax-b=0## and then solve for ##a,b## but that didn't get too far with two variables and one equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you set a = 2α and b = β, what are the roots of x2-ax-b?

haruspex said:
If you set a = 2α and b = β, what are the roots of x2-ax-b?

I don't know why but I remember trying that and it didn't work but now that I try it again after you mention it, it works. Thanks!

DeadOriginal said:
I don't know why but I remember trying that and it didn't work but now that I try it again after you mention it, it works. Thanks!
A deep result in maths is that arithmetic and algebraic results are NOT static over time, but depend on what help you get!
:smile:

arildno said:
A deep result in maths is that arithmetic and algebraic results are NOT static over time, but depend on what help you get!
:smile:

Amen! Haha.

1. What is a continued fraction?

A continued fraction is a mathematical expression in the form of a fraction that consists of a whole number plus another fraction, which in turn consists of a whole number plus another fraction, and so on. It is written as [a0;a1,a2,a3,...], where the a's are whole numbers.

2. What is the purpose of using continued fractions?

Continued fractions can be used to represent irrational numbers in a more concise and elegant way than decimal expansions. They also have many applications in number theory, geometry, and physics.

3. How do you convert a decimal number to a continued fraction?

To convert a decimal number to a continued fraction, you can use an algorithm called the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly taking the reciprocal of the decimal part of the number and writing the resulting whole number as the next term in the continued fraction.

4. What is the difference between a simple continued fraction and a generalized continued fraction?

A simple continued fraction has all the terms in the form of whole numbers, while a generalized continued fraction can have any real numbers as its terms. Simple continued fractions have a finite number of terms, while generalized continued fractions can have an infinite number of terms.

5. What are some real-life examples of continued fractions?

Continued fractions have many applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and statistics. They are used to approximate irrational numbers, calculate error bounds for numerical computations, and model complex systems. They are also used in musical theory to represent musical intervals and in cryptography for secure communication.