Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of one Norm w.resp. to Another. Meaning?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Hi, All:

I am working on a proof of the fact that any two norms on a f.dim. normed space V are equivalent. The idea seems clear, except for a statement that (paraphrase) any norm in V is a continuous function of any other norm. For the sake of context, the whole proof goes like this:

1)Show that , if any two norms f,g on the unit sphere on V are equivalent, then f,g are equivalent in the whole of V. Easy; just rescaling.

2)**Every norm is a function of some other norm **

3) In particular, from 2, f,g are both cont. functions of another norm,say, h.

4)We define the function j on the unit sphere S^1 of V by : j=f/g . Then, by compactness of

S^1 , there are constants m, M with 0<m<=M with m<j<M , i.e., m<f/g < M

Not too hard.

Still, I'm having trouble pinning-down the meaning of the statement in 2. Any Ideas?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2
    It just means that for every norm f on V, there exists a continuous function F:ℝ→ℝ and a norm h on V, such that [itex]f=F\circ h[/itex].

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

But this seems like a very stringent condition. After some reflection with my friend

double-espresso , I think it is more reasonable that , given a fixed norm N and other

norms f,g as above, that we can say that f,g are continuous functions in the

topology that N gives rise to , when we use the metric d(x,y)=N(x-y) , don't

you think this seems more reasonable ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook