Continuity of (x^2 + y^2)sin(1/(x^2+y^2)) Derivative at 0

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brydustin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
brydustin
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
obviously x^2sin(1/x) isn't continuous in its derivative at zero. But it seems if you take
(x^2 + y^2) sin(1/(x^2+y^2)) and switch to polar coordinates then the derivative is continuous at zero... but that can't be right... can it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The second function doesn't restrict to the first function on the x-axis, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised their differentiability properties would be different. On the other hand the function

[tex](x^2+y^2) \sin( \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} )[/tex]
is the radial extension of your original function to the x-y plane, and when you switch to polar coordinates you get that it is not differentiable at zero (since it's the exact same function once you do that)
 
Please be more specific. What are your calculations, for instance?

Also, the derivative in polar coordinates aren't that simple. If we have r=f(θ), then f'(θ) isn't necessarily the slope of the line tangent to f at θ.
 
Office_Shredder said:
The second function doesn't restrict to the first function on the x-axis, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised their differentiability properties would be different. On the other hand the function

[tex](x^2+y^2) \sin( \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} )[/tex]
is the radial extension of your original function to the x-y plane, and when you switch to polar coordinates you get that it is not differentiable at zero (since it's the exact same function once you do that)

g'(r,alpha) = (for all alpha) = z2r*sin(1/r*sqrt(z)) - r^2/sqrt(r*z) cos(1/r*sqrt(z)) is what I get. where z = cos^2(alpha) + sin^2(alpha). And the limit should exist as r goes to zero by the squeeze theorem., ... right?
 
Whovian said:
Please be more specific. What are your calculations, for instance?

Also, the derivative in polar coordinates aren't that simple. If we have r=f(θ), then f'(θ) isn't necessarily the slope of the line tangent to f at θ.

OH, no... I made a mistake. I made a bad substitution as I forgot that r = sqrt(x^2+y^2) and then its really trivial. Funny, that I had this idea but did the transformation wrong, still.
 
Last edited: