1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous absorption spectrum - why this happens?

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    Continuous absorption spectrum -- why this happens?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pure green glass plate placed in the path of light, absorbs everything everything except green, similarly red glass plate absorbs everything except red.

2. Relevant equations
    May i know the reason for this? Thanks in advance revered members

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Continuous absorption spectrum -- why this happens?

It is not true.
    Seeing through, a glass plate if it absorbs red, appears green too. The complementary colour of green is red. If red is removed from white light we see green.

ehild

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3

My textbook on Spectroscopy mentions like this, but reasons are not given

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your eyes work this way. The cones of your eyes see the colours. See: http://www.yorku.ca/eye/specsens.htm. Each kind of them are sensitive to a band of wavelength: one to red light, the other to green, the third to blue. If the incident light is red it activates the red cones and they send a signal to the brain: you recognise red color. If the red is missing from the incident light, the green and blue cones activate and you recognize it as some kind of green.
    If the green is missing the remaining light activates the blue and red cones, and your brain recognizes it as some kind of red.

ehild

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5

Thanks for the reply Mr. ehid. But i am raising this question in spectroscopy perspective

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook