Continuous Industrial Processes Over 24 hours

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a continuous process in industry that involves synthesizing a product or material, with a specific focus on the synthesis stage taking over 24 hours. The speaker is looking for examples of such processes and mentions designing a continuous process with a long reaction time to avoid using a large amount of pipeline. The mention of a beer microbrewery process is brought up, but it is clarified that it is a batch process rather than a continuous one. The conversation concludes with the understanding that a residence time of over 24 hours is not suitable for a continuous process.
JeweliaHeart
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any continuous processes currently in industry that involve synthesizing some kind of product or material, but takes over 24 hours?

I don't mean the entire process itself takes 24 hours or more, but a certain stage of the process, such as the synthesis of desired compound(or product) before it is further processed (dried, distilled,etc.) takes over 24 hours.

If you are aware of such a process, please inform me. I am brainstorming ways to design a continuous process with reactants that take arounf 72 hours to react, and I am trying to avoid using miles of pipeline

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
JeweliaHeart said:
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any continuous processes currently in industry that involve synthesizing some kind of product or material, but takes over 24 hours?

I don't mean the entire process itself takes 24 hours or more, but a certain stage of the process, such as the synthesis of desired compound(or product) before it is further processed (dried, distilled,etc.) takes over 24 hours.

If you are aware of such a process, please inform me. I am brainstorming ways to design a continuous process with reactants that take arounf 72 hours to react, and I am trying to avoid using miles of pipelineThanks

I recently took a tour of a local Beer Microbrewery, and several steps in the process of brewing beer took on the order of a day or two. Is that along the lines of what you are looking for?

Yes, any process that takes over 24 hours and is yet remains continuous is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Was this a continuous process or a batch process?

JeweliaHeart said:
Yes, any process that takes over 24 hours and is yet remains continuous is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Was this a continuous process or a batch process?

Ah, sorry. I missed the subtlety of the word "continuous" process. Beer making is a batch process.

I think if the residence time is over 24 hours, it would not make sense to use a continuous process, since the equipment would need to be very large.

1. What are continuous industrial processes over 24 hours?

Continuous industrial processes over 24 hours refer to manufacturing or production processes that run continuously without interruption for a period of 24 hours or more. These processes are often used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and food and beverage.

2. How are continuous industrial processes over 24 hours different from batch processes?

Continuous industrial processes over 24 hours differ from batch processes in that they are not broken up into smaller batches or cycles. Instead, they run continuously without interruption, resulting in a constant output.

3. What are the benefits of continuous industrial processes over 24 hours?

The main benefits of continuous industrial processes over 24 hours include increased efficiency, reduced downtime, and higher production rates. These processes also allow for better quality control and can result in cost savings for companies.

4. What types of industries use continuous industrial processes over 24 hours?

Industries that require a constant and uninterrupted production flow often use continuous industrial processes over 24 hours. This includes industries such as oil and gas, chemical, pharmaceutical, and food and beverage.

5. What are some challenges associated with continuous industrial processes over 24 hours?

Some challenges that may arise with continuous industrial processes over 24 hours include equipment maintenance, managing energy consumption, and ensuring the safety of workers who may be exposed to the production environment for long periods of time.