Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Industrial Processes Over 24 hours

1. May 27, 2015 #1
    Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any continuous processes currently in industry that involve synthesizing some kind of product or material, but takes over 24 hours?

I don't mean the entire process itself takes 24 hours or more, but a certain stage of the process, such as the synthesis of desired compound(or product) before it is further processed (dried, distilled,etc.) takes over 24 hours.

If you are aware of such a process, please inform me. I am brainstorming ways to design a continuous process with reactants that take arounf 72 hours to react, and I am trying to avoid using miles of pipeline

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I recently took a tour of a local Beer Microbrewery, and several steps in the process of brewing beer took on the order of a day or two. Is that along the lines of what you are looking for?

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Yes, any process that takes over 24 hours and is yet remains continuous is along the lines of what I'm looking for. Was this a continuous process or a batch process?

5. May 28, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ah, sorry. I missed the subtlety of the word "continuous" process. Beer making is a batch process.

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5

Maylis

Gold Member

I think if the residence time is over 24 hours, it would not make sense to use a continuous process, since the equipment would need to be very large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook