Continuum Mechanics: Eij and eif given coordinates and displacements

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the strain tensors E_{ij} and \epsilon_{ij} for a 2D displacement field, given by the equations u and v, in terms of the variables X_1 and X_2. The solution involves determining the relationship between u and v and X_1 and X_2, and using the formula E_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial X_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial X_i}+\frac{\partial u_k }{\partial X_i}\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial X_j}) to find the strain tensors.
lanew

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/selection027.png"
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/selection027.png

Homework Equations

[itex]E_{ij}=\frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{X_j}} \frac{\partial{u_j}}{\partial{X_i}} - \delta_{ij}\right) [/itex]
[itex]\epsilon_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{X_j}}+\frac{\partial{u_j}}{\partial{X_i}}\right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to begin. I understand how to find [itex]E_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{ij}[/itex] given the displacement field, but I am not sure how to construct the field. So far, I came up with:

[itex]u=0.001x_1+0.003x_2+0.002x_3[/itex]
[itex]v=0.002x_2+0.001x_3-0.001x_4[/itex]

But I'm not sure that's right at all, or if I'm supposed to be looking at each individual point, e.g.:

[itex]u_1=0.001x_1[/itex]
[itex]v_1=0[/itex]

[itex]u_2=0.003x_2[/itex]
[itex]v_2=0.002y_2[/itex]

[itex]u_3=0.002x_3[/itex]
[itex]v_3=0.001y_3[/itex]

[itex]u_4=0[/itex]
[itex]v_4=-0.001y_4[/itex]

Am I even remotely close with either idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lanew said:
Am I even remotely close with either idea?

Thanks!

Not really, sorry..

Your problem appears to be 2D.
Furthermore, the two strain tensors that you want to find are Lagrangian and so, by definition, depend on capital [itex]X[/itex], rather than x...

Unless I misread the problem, you ought to take [itex]X_1=``x''[/itex] and [itex]X_2=``y''[/itex] (that's it.. because it's 2D).

[itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] should depend on [itex]X_1[/itex] and [itex]X_2[/itex].

You have to figure out the relationship..

I'd also double check your formula:
Should read:
[itex]E_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial X_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial X_i}+\frac{\partial u_k }{\partial X_i}\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial X_j})[/itex]
Hope that helps..

Last edited:

1. What is Continuum Mechanics?

Continuum Mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of materials that are continuously distributed in space, such as fluids and solids. It studies the effects of forces and displacements on the material's properties and how they change over time and space.

2. What do Eij and eif represent in Continuum Mechanics?

Eij and eif are mathematical representations of strain in a material. Eij represents the normal strain in the i-direction and j-direction, while eif represents the shear strain in the i-direction and f-direction. These values are used to describe the deformation of a material under external forces.

3. How are coordinates and displacements related in Continuum Mechanics?

In Continuum Mechanics, coordinates and displacements are used to describe the position and movement of a material in space. Coordinates refer to the location of a point in a material, while displacements refer to the change in position of that point due to applied forces.

4. What is the significance of Eij and eif in the study of Continuum Mechanics?

Eij and eif are important in understanding the behavior of materials under external forces. They provide a quantitative measure of the deformation and strain in a material, which can be used to analyze and predict its mechanical properties.

5. Can Eij and eif be calculated for any material in Continuum Mechanics?

Yes, Eij and eif can be calculated for any material as long as the material is continuously distributed in space. However, the equations and methods used to calculate these values may differ depending on the type of material being studied.