1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control of grid connected photovoltaic system

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    Hi guys,

Im doing a final year project this semester on the above topic. I wanted to know whether to implement hardware or using software like Matlab.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    If there's an emphasis on it being grid connected, it would definitely be a huge advantage if you could reprogram the switching behavior of your inverter configuration to test out different control schemes.

You suggested MATLAB, do you have access to a dSPACE system with Simulink integration at your university? It's probably one of the easier real-time platforms to get up and running quickly.

LabVIEW Real Time is also an option if you have some experience with it and like the virtual instrument approach. Your university needs a license for it of course.

A DSP/microprocessor in a development board will also work nicely and would offer the option of producing an embedded solution, if that's something you'd be interested in.

I haven't worked with PV-cells myself, but I'm sure there's a tonne of papers available in the public domain on grid connecting them in all sorts of ways.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot for the reply mate. I want to obtain I-V and P-V characteristic curve using Simulink in matlab. Do you know where I can find the required tutorials!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook