Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control the rotation of several discs along the same axis

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have an engineering background, I'm an EE, but I know almost nothing about mechanics and that's why I'm writing here.

This is the challenge: how to control the rotation of multiple discs along the same axis? Assume you have a sliced cylinder. The ideal scenario would be to control every slice independently, but to make things easier I think it helps to consider that you can move them in a fixed number of combinations and on the same direction (e.g. a mechanism that enables to rotate the top and bottom cylinders at the same time and same direction - combination #1 - and the inner ones in the same way - combination #2 - but not as the same time as #1).

Any idea on how to accomplish this?

I though I could use something like a "key" along the axis/shaft/rod. By moving it up/down it would lock different discs/slices. Not sure if this is a good idea. One issue I can see with this one, is that the slices that weren't locked by the "key" could be rotating freely and I want them to be steady.

PS: the less motors required the better (that's an important detail I assumed in my previous text but that may not be obvious)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

rbelli1

Gold Member

How big? How fast? Are the slices in contact? How steady to they need to be when un-driven?

Use a solenoid at each slice to lock them individually to the shaft. You then have the ability to move any number at the same time.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted