Convergence of a Series: Radius and Endpoints

In summary: Any hint?thank you!Set ##y = x +3##. The radius of convergence wrt ##y## must be an interval centred on ##y =0##.Set ##y = x +3##. The radius of convergence wrt ##y## must be an interval centred on ##y =0##.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
look at the image
Relevant Equations
Set of convergence
Greetings
1661267594923.png

According to my understanding: if x converges in 4 means that the series converges -1<x+3<7 but the solution says C
Any hint?
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Set ##y = x +3##. The radius of convergence wrt ##y## must be an interval centred on ##y =0##.

PeroK said:
Set ##y = x +3##. The radius of convergence wrt ##y## must be an interval centred on ##y =0##.
thank you this is what I have done
y=x+3
x conveges in 4 then
y converges in ]-1,7[
not the answer

Amaelle said:
y=x+3
x conveges in 4 then
y converges in ]-1,7[
not the answer
The radius of convergence is an interval centred on ##0##. It cannot be ##[-1,7]##.

PeroK said:
The radius of convergence is an interval centred on ##0##. It cannot be ##[-1,7]##.
the exercice ask about the set of convergence and not the radius and as you can see we have y=x+3 y is centred in 0 not x

Amaelle said:
y is centred in 0 not x
That's not what you have. You have ##y## centred on ##3##:
Amaelle said:
y converges in ]-1,7[
not the answer

Amaelle said:
the exercice ask about the set of convergence and not the radius
You asked for a hint and the hint was to think about the radius of convergence.

Amaelle said:
the exercice ask about the set of convergence and not the radius
The width of the interval of convergence is two times the radius of convergence.

The phrase "converges in x=4" is strange. It should be "converges AT x=4". That tells you that with x=4, we are in or exactly at the boundary of convergence at x=4. So (x+3)=7 is inside or at the radius of convergence of the power series.
So, what can you say about the region of convergence? Be careful about where the convergence is absolute versus other convergence. That makes a big difference exactly at the endpoints of the region of convergence.

Amaelle said:
y=x+3
x conveges in 4 then
y converges in ]-1,7[
Neither x nor y "converges in" some point or some interval. It's the series that converges, not values of x or y.
FactChecker said:
The phrase "converges in x=4" is strange. It should be "converges AT x=4".
That phrasing bothers me as well. I agree that it should be "converges AT x =4" or wherever.

Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: look at the image
Relevant Equations:: Set of convergence

Greetings
View attachment 313163
According to my understanding: if x converges in 4 means that the series converges -1<x+3<7
This sounds wrong. Are you thinking that "converges in x=4" means that the radius of convergence is 4? That is not how I would interpret it. I would guess that the phrase was bad and they meant "converges at x=4", which makes it converge for (x+3)=7. So the radius of convergence is 7. That will change your endpoints of the region of convergence.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the property of a series where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by evaluating the limit of the partial sums of the series. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the series is said to be convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the series is said to be divergent.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the absolute value of each term is considered, while conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series where the sign of each term is taken into account. A series can be absolutely convergent but not conditionally convergent, or it can be both absolutely and conditionally convergent.

4. What are some common tests for determining the convergence of a series?

Some common tests for determining the convergence of a series include the comparison test, ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series or evaluating the limit of the series using various techniques.

5. Can a divergent series ever have a finite sum?

No, a divergent series cannot have a finite sum. The definition of convergence of a series requires the sum of the terms to approach a finite value, so a series that does not meet this criteria is not considered convergent.