Convergence of Cesáros Mean: Proving the Limit of a Sequence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Beowulf2007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Beowulf2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Convergens of Cesáros mean(Urgent).

Homework Statement



I need to show the following:

(1) Let number sequence be given called [tex]\{\alpha_{n}\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] for which [tex]\alpha_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] where [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

(2) Given a sequence [tex]\{\beta_{n}}\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] which is defined as [tex]\beta_{n}= \frac{\alpha_{1} + \alpha_{2} + \cdots + \alpha_{n}}{n}[/tex]

If (1) is true then [tex]\beta_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] for [tex]n \rightarrow 0[/tex] is likewise true.

The Attempt at a Solution



The definition of convergens says (according to my textbook)

[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists N \in \mathbb{N} \forall n \in \mathbb{N}: n \geq N \Rightarrow |a_{n} - a| < \epsilon[/tex]

If I use that on part 1 of (1) then

[tex]|\alpha_{n} - 0| < \epsilon[/tex] [tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] thus [tex]\alpha_{n}[/tex] converges.

Regarding part (2).

I get the inequality [tex]|\beta_{n}| < \epsilon[/tex] from the definition.

Am I missing something here?

Best Regards
Beowulf
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tricky part is, [itex]\alpha_k[/itex] can be > [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for k < N. (For example, [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] can be = 1,000,000[itex]\epsilon[/itex].) You need to argue "I can make n arbitrarily large, thus..."
 
EnumaElish said:
The tricky part is, [itex]\alpha_k[/itex] can be > [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for k < N. (For example, [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] can be = 1,000,000[itex]\epsilon[/itex].) You need to argue "I can make n arbitrarily large, thus..."

Hi an Thank You for Your reply.

I can see if I make n large then epsilon will have to be very small. Is the point that epsilon can only be larger than [itex]\alpha_n[/itex] if n becomes extremely small?

Sincerely Yours
BeoWulf
 
Beowulf2007 said:
I can see if I make n large then epsilon will have to be very small.
You are starting with a given epsilon. The first k alphas may be larger than epsilon, so they'll make a large beta (if n were a constant). You have to see that, then argue: "this is not a problem, because I can make n arbitrarily large, which will make beta_n arbitrarily small."

Is the point that epsilon can only be larger than [itex]\alpha_n[/itex] if n becomes extremely small?
[itex]\epsilon > \alpha_n[/itex] for n arbitrarily LARGE.
 
EnumaElish said:
You are starting with a given epsilon. The first k alphas may be larger than epsilon, so they'll make a large beta (if n were a constant). You have to see that, then argue: "this is not a problem, because I can make n arbitrarily large, which will make beta_n arbitrarily small."

[itex]\epsilon > \alpha_n[/itex] for n arbitrarily LARGE.

So the that for any epsilon, if n is arbitrary larger then Beta_n will stay small and will therefore tend to zero? And that is simply the proof?

BR

Beowulf
 
Intuition: We are really taking finite means and then letting them go off to infinity. Now, eventually a_n becomes very close to zero and will always stay that close for any n afterwards (this is just convergence). But as we go off into infinity these a_ns get so close to zero, and there are so many of them, that they 'pull most of the mean' towards them.

Anyways, this is a tricky problem. But I'll start you off. Let epsilon>0. Since a_n->0 find N1 that works with epsilon/2. Then for all n>N1

b_n-0=a_1/n+a_2/n+...+a_N1/n + a_(N1+1)/n +...+a_n/n. Now the first N1 sums of b_n go to zero as n->infinity. Hence there exists an N2 such that whenever n>N2 |a_1/n+a_2/n+...+a_N1/n-0|<epsilon/2.

You should be able to finish this off. Man, I should have latexed this.