1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negation of definition of convergence

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    The definition of convergence is given by : ## \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## such that ## |x_n - l | < \epsilon ## ## \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ## with ## n > N ##

negate this statement and prove that the sequence ## x_n = (-1)^nn ## is divergent using only the negation of the definition of convergence

ok here's my attempt of the negation of the statement:

## \exists \epsilon > 0 \forall N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## \exists n \in \mathbb{N} n > N ## and ## |x_n - l | \geq \epsilon ##

proof that ## x_n = (-1)^nn ## does not converge:

since the negation of the definition is "## \forall N ##" let N = 1, and find ## n_1 > 1 ## then let ## N = n_1 ## and find ## n_2 > N=n_1 ## etc leaving us with a sequence of indicies ## n_1 < n_2 < n_3.. ##

so lets prove that it does not converge to 1:

choose ## epsilon = 1/2 ## then for ## N>0 ## let n be the odd integers i.e. ## n_1 = 1 < n_2 = 3 < n_3 = 5 ... ## then n > N hence ## | (-1)^1(1) - 1 | >= 1/2 ## which is true hence ## x_n## does not converge to 1

take ## l > 1 ## and choose ##\epsilon ## s.t. ## \epsilon < l - 1 ## again, choosing ## N > 0 ## and n being all the odd integers greater than 0 we have n > N and ## |(-1)(1) - l | \geq \epsilon## which is true

take ## l < 1## and choose n to be all the odd integers above 0 then n > N and ## |-1 - l | >= \epsilon ## which is true therefore ## x_n ## does not converge

I think this works, but truth be told, I don't understand the negation of this statement. I mean, I understand HOW I got the negation, but I don't know what it means. The choosing N > 0 is from my lecture notes and I don't understand why that works, and why we can just choose N > 0 if the definition states for all N

any help please

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2
    You are on the right track but I think it is a little simpler. Given the sequence ##a_n = n(-1)^n## you want to show it cannot have a limit. If it does have a limit L then for any ##\epsilon## there is an ##N## such that |##a_n -L##| whenever n > N.

Choosing ##\epsilon## = 1/2 is a great idea. Now what happens to ##a_n## as n gets large? How does each term relate to the previous one?

So you want to say something like: no matter what N I choose I can't get |##a_n -L##| < 1/2 for every n > N. Then explain why not.

The positive statement is I can find an N; the negation is I cannot find an N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted