Negation of definition of convergence

In summary, convergence is the process of approaching a limit or specific value, commonly used in mathematics and science. The negation of convergence means the opposite, or a lack of approaching a limit or value. This can be seen in examples such as diverging sequences and series, as well as lines and trends that do not intersect. In scientific experiments, the negation of convergence can indicate inconsistent results, and in real-life applications, it can be used in fields such as finance, physics, and biology to analyze trends and understand system behavior.
phospho
The definition of convergence is given by : ## \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## such that ## |x_n - l | < \epsilon ## ## \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ## with ## n > N ##

negate this statement and prove that the sequence ## x_n = (-1)^nn ## is divergent using only the negation of the definition of convergence

ok here's my attempt of the negation of the statement:

## \exists \epsilon > 0 \forall N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## \exists n \in \mathbb{N} n > N ## and ## |x_n - l | \geq \epsilon ##

proof that ## x_n = (-1)^nn ## does not converge:

since the negation of the definition is "## \forall N ##" let N = 1, and find ## n_1 > 1 ## then let ## N = n_1 ## and find ## n_2 > N=n_1 ## etc leaving us with a sequence of indicies ## n_1 < n_2 < n_3.. ##

so let's prove that it does not converge to 1:

choose ## epsilon = 1/2 ## then for ## N>0 ## let n be the odd integers i.e. ## n_1 = 1 < n_2 = 3 < n_3 = 5 ... ## then n > N hence ## | (-1)^1(1) - 1 | >= 1/2 ## which is true hence ## x_n## does not converge to 1

take ## l > 1 ## and choose ##\epsilon ## s.t. ## \epsilon < l - 1 ## again, choosing ## N > 0 ## and n being all the odd integers greater than 0 we have n > N and ## |(-1)(1) - l | \geq \epsilon## which is true

take ## l < 1## and choose n to be all the odd integers above 0 then n > N and ## |-1 - l | >= \epsilon ## which is true therefore ## x_n ## does not converge

I think this works, but truth be told, I don't understand the negation of this statement. I mean, I understand HOW I got the negation, but I don't know what it means. The choosing N > 0 is from my lecture notes and I don't understand why that works, and why we can just choose N > 0 if the definition states for all N

any help please

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track but I think it is a little simpler. Given the sequence ##a_n = n(-1)^n## you want to show it cannot have a limit. If it does have a limit L then for any ##\epsilon## there is an ##N## such that |##a_n -L##| whenever n > N.

Choosing ##\epsilon## = 1/2 is a great idea. Now what happens to ##a_n## as n gets large? How does each term relate to the previous one?

So you want to say something like: no matter what N I choose I can't get |##a_n -L##| < 1/2 for every n > N. Then explain why not.

The positive statement is I can find an N; the negation is I cannot find an N.

What is the definition of convergence?

The definition of convergence is the process of approaching a limit, or a specific value or point. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to describe a sequence or series that eventually reaches a particular value, or when multiple lines or trends come together.

What does the negation of the definition of convergence mean?

The negation of the definition of convergence means the opposite of convergence, or the lack of approaching a limit or specific value. It can also refer to a divergence, where a sequence or series does not come together, or multiple lines or trends do not intersect.

What are some examples of negation of convergence?

Some examples of negation of convergence include a diverging sequence, where the numbers in the sequence do not approach a specific value, or a diverging series, where the sum of the terms in the series does not converge to a finite value. In terms of lines or trends, a negation of convergence would be when they do not intersect or come together at a specific point.

How does negation of convergence relate to scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, the negation of convergence can be observed when the results do not consistently approach a specific value or point. For example, if the data collected from multiple trials does not converge to a single result, it could indicate a lack of convergence and suggest that the experiment needs to be repeated or modified.

What are some real-life applications of the concept of negation of convergence?

The concept of negation of convergence can be applied to various fields such as finance, physics, and biology. In finance, it can be used to analyze market trends and predict potential market crashes. In physics, it can be used to understand the behavior of systems that do not approach equilibrium. In biology, it can be applied to study the evolution of species that do not converge to a common ancestor.