Convergence Test (Comparison) Questions

You could also try ##1/n^{1.1}## or ##1/n^{1.01}##. The smaller the exponent, the faster the series will converge.
omer10000
Hello everyone,

I need some help on doing convergence tests (comparisons I believe) on some Ʃ sums.

I have three, they are:

1. Ʃ [ln(n)/n^2] from n=1 to ∞.

I tried the integral test but was solved to be invalid (that is, cannot divide by infinity). Therefore I believe it to be a comparison test but don't know what to compare it to.

2. Ʃ [(3n+2)/(n^3+1)] from n=0 to ∞

I solved the whole problem starting at n=1 and stating that Ʃ1/n^2 and Ʃ1/n^3 were larger and convergent, therefore the sum is convergent. I realized the n=0 part later and now cannot solve it cause you cannot divide by 0; that is, 1/0^2 or 1/0^3. I tried an index shift yet it still is invalid.

3. Ʃ [(2n+1)/n^2] from n=1 to ∞

I don't know what to compare this to. I need a value smaller than 1/n^2 which diverges (as sum diverges) but 1/n^3 converges. I don't know what to do.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
omer10000 said:
1. Ʃ [ln(n)/n^2] from n=1 to ∞.

I tried the integral test but was solved to be invalid (that is, cannot divide by infinity). Therefore I believe it to be a comparison test but don't know what to compare it to.
Why would you want to "divide by infinity"?
A comparison can be useful - you'll need something "between" 1/n (-> sum is not convergent) and 1/n^2 (->sum is convergent, but it is not larger than your expression)

2. Ʃ [(3n+2)/(n^3+1)] from n=0 to ∞

I solved the whole problem starting at n=1 and stating that Ʃ1/n^2 and Ʃ1/n^3 were larger and convergent, therefore the sum is convergent. I realized the n=0 part later and now cannot solve it cause you cannot divide by 0; that is, 1/0^2 or 1/0^3. I tried an index shift yet it still is invalid.
For convergence, finite numbers of initial summands are irrelevant. It is sufficient if your comparison works for n>2, n>1 billion or any other number.

3. Ʃ [(2n+1)/n^2] from n=1 to ∞

I don't know what to compare this to. I need a value smaller than 1/n^2 which diverges (as sum diverges) but 1/n^3 converges. I don't know what to do.

Help would be much appreciated.
The sum over 1/n^2 converges. You can split this into two series, both of them are easier to evaluate afterwards.

Last edited:
mfb said:
A comparison can be useful - you'll need something "between" 1/n (-> sum is not convergent) and 1/n^2 (->sum is convergent, but it is not larger than your expression)

How should I go about determining which 'in between' fraction is convergent? Do I use trial and error, and then solve it geometrically?

mfb said:
For convergence, a finite number of initial summands are irrelevant. It is sufficient if your comparison works for n>2, n>1 billion or any other number.

Okay thanks for that so when I solve, I can just say that all values are positive for n≥1 and leave it to that. Then I solve without considering n=0.

mfb said:
The sum over 1/n^2 converges. You can split this into two series, both of them are easier to evaluate afterwards.

I tried something like that but kind of got stuck.

a_n = (2n+1)/n^2 = 2n/n^2 + 1/n^2...1/n^2 is already convergent so don't need to worry about it.

2n/n^2=2/n...n > x? n is larger than what convergent value so that when I invert it, 1/n is smaller than 1/x --the convergent value.

Then do I say that 2/n < 1/x = convergent + 1/n^2 convergent = Ʃ sum is convergent by Comparison Test.

Last edited:
The harmonic series ##\sum \frac{1}{n}## is not convergent.

omer10000 said:
How should I go about determining which 'in between' fraction is convergent? Do I use trial and error, and then solve it geometrically?
What could be interesting between 1/n^1 and 1/n^2?
Okay thanks for that so when I solve, I can just say that all values are positive for n≥1 and leave it to that. Then I solve without considering n=0.
Sure.

micromass said:
The harmonic series ##\sum \frac{1}{n}## is not convergent.

Alright so I say that since 1/n in DIvergent and 1/n^2 is CONvergent, the sigma sigma overall is DIvergent?

mfb said:
What could be interesting between 1/n^1 and 1/n^2?
Sure.

Not sure, 1/n^1.5?

omer10000 said:
Alright so I say that since 1/n in DIvergent and 1/n^2 is CONvergent, the sigma sigma overall is DIvergent?
Right.
Not sure, 1/n^1.5?
That is a good idea.

What is a convergence test?

A convergence test is a method used to determine whether or not an infinite series (a sum of an infinite number of terms) converges to a finite value, or diverges to infinity. It is used to evaluate the convergence or divergence of series in mathematics and physics.

Why are convergence tests important?

Convergence tests are important because they help us determine the behavior of infinite series. By determining whether a series converges or diverges, we can understand the properties and characteristics of the series and use this information to solve problems in different fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

What is the comparison test for convergence?

The comparison test for convergence is a method used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges by comparing it to another known series. If the known series converges, and the infinite series is larger than it, then the infinite series must also converge. Similarly, if the known series diverges, and the infinite series is smaller than it, then the infinite series must also diverge.

How is the comparison test used?

The comparison test is used by first identifying a known series that has a similar form to the infinite series being evaluated. Then, by comparing the two series and determining the convergence or divergence of the known series, we can conclude the convergence or divergence of the infinite series.

What are the limitations of the comparison test?

The comparison test is only applicable to series that have positive terms. Additionally, it can only determine the convergence or divergence of a series, but it cannot provide an exact value for the sum of the series. It also does not work for all types of series, and other convergence tests may be needed to evaluate the convergence of certain series.