Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent Filter Base and Continuous Function

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

I can't see how the following is proved.

Given two topological space (X, T), (Y, U) and a function f from X to Y and the following two statements.

1. f is continuous, i.e. for every open set U in U, the inverse image f-1(U) is in T

2. For every convergent filter base F -> x, the induced filter base f [[F]] -> f(x)

it is claimed that statement 1 and statement 2 are equivalent, i.e. 1 if and only if 2

I can prove 1 -> 2
    but how do i prove 2 -> 1

thanks a lot !

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2
    Suppose the filter-base thingy holds. Let A be an open set in Y. Let B = f^{-1}(A).
    We must show B is open in X. Suppose not. Then there is c in B such that every neighborhood of c meets X minus B. Your filter-base will be all these sets: (neighborhood of c) minus B. This filter-base converges to c. So the image filter-base in Y converges to f(c). But the sets of that image filter-base are outside A and converge to a point of A, contradicting the assumption that A is open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook