omartech said:
i end up getting two equations.. and when i put the value of v1 in the quadratic equation to reduce it to one variable i get
27.5v^2 + 8*v*v2 - 14/5v2^2 = 0.. I'm sure about this till here..
looks good.
now I'm confused as to how to solve v2 in terms of v..
how do i treat this quadratic equation.. which is the ax^2 + bx + c = 0.. i don't know which ones are what and how to proceed..
The key idea is that you are looking for v2 in terms of v so you must think of v as if it was a number.
So your equation is
[tex]-\frac{14}{5} v_2^2 + 8 v v_2 + 27.5 v^2 =0[/tex]
The value of "a" is then -14/5. The value of "b" is [itex]8 v[/itex] and c i s[itex]27.5 v^2[/itex]. So you can solve for v2 in terms of v. And as I said before, keep only the negative solution since v2 must be negative.
At the end you should always put back your values of v1 and v2 in your two initial equations to check that you got the correct answers.
By the way, I just reread the question and I am not sure if the starting equation for energy is correct. The question states that the energy
released in the explosion is 4.75 times the initial kinetic energy. This is energy produced by the explosion (chemical potential energy transformed into kinetic energy) so, if I read the question correctly, the total kinetic energy at the end is
[tex]1/2 M v^2 + 4.75 times 1/2 M v^2 = 5.75 M v^2/2[/tex]
where the first term is the initial energy and the second term is the energy released in the explosion. I might be wrong but this is the way I interpret the question. But this is the kind of question that could be interpreted in different ways so don't take my word for it.
ohh btw .. this is my first ever forum experience and so far its excellent with amazing responses..thanks a lot kdv!
I am glad it was helpful. You will find this site incredibly useful and interesting!
That's very kind. Thank you.