Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of particle fluence to Krad

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    suppose in a radiation environment , the radiation dosage is given in terms of no: of particles per square centimeter, how will we convert it in terms of rad or kilorad or gray?
    For eg: let the proton fluence be 6.2 X 10^11 /cm^2. the energy is 50 MeV. how can we express it in terms of Krad?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought those doses where [energy absorbed per kilogram of matter]

e.g 1 Gray = 1J/1kg matter

So one has to make assumptions on what is happening to that radiation fluence, assuming that it impinges on water and that it is fully absorbed or whatever.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    actually i am dealing with the radiation effects of certain materials like InGaAs pin photodetector. in 1 square centimeter of that material proton fluence of 6X10^11 particles are falling.i want to get the dosage in terms of Krad or gray. In one paper it was given that 6.2 X 10 ^11 protons/ cm^2 of energy 50 MeV corresponds to 100 krad.
    similarly 2 MeV electrons of fluence 4.1 X10^12 corresponds to 100 Krad.
    and 100 MeV electrons of fluence 3.3 X 10^12 also corresponds to 100 krad.
    how can i relate all these figures?

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what paper? a paper related to that particular detector?

6.2 X 10 ^11 protons/ cm^2 of energy 50 MeV is 5 Joules/cm^2

I mean, the dosage is measured in energy per mass, and it is material dependent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook