Convert 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight

• Thread starter shortman12012
  • Start date
In summary, the speed limit on a particular stretch of road is 55 miles per hour expressed in millifurlongs per microfortnight. A furlong is 1/8 mile, and a fortnight is a period of 2 weeks.
shortman12012

Homework Statement

The speed limit on a particular stretch of road is 55 miles per hour. Express this speed limit in millifurlongs per microfortnight. A furlong is 1/8 mile, and a fortnight is a period of 2 weeks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I tried doing was taking

55 mph ( 8furlong/1mile ) ( 336hours/1fortnight ) = 147840

8 furlongs are in one mile and 336hours are in 1 fortnight. However the answer that I got isn't correct so I need to know what I'm doing wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
shortman12012 said:

Homework Statement

The speed limit on a particular stretch of road is 55 miles per hour. Express this speed limit in millifurlongs per microfortnight. A furlong is 1/8 mile, and a fortnight is a period of 2 weeks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I tried doing was taking

55 mph ( 8furlong/1mile ) ( 336hours/1fortnight ) = 147840

8 furlongs are in one mile and 336hours are in 1 fortnight. However the answer that I got isn't correct so I need to know what I'm doing wrong please.

What you need to do is change mi/hr units to millifurlong/microfortnight units. It's helpful to write the units involved as fractions, because you want the units you don't want to cancel, so that you end up with the units you do want. For that reason I wrote mph as mi/hr.

Each of the expressions you have above in parentheses is a unit, hence is equal to 1. You can multiply by units all you want without changing the basic value of what you start with.

55 (mi/hr) * 8 (furlong/mi) * 1000 (millifurlong/furlong) * ...

The expression above converts miles per hour to millifurlongs per hour. Notice how the mi units cancel and the furlong units cancel. Tack on a few more units to get to millifurlongs/microfortnight.

if i take this and continue would the rest be
55 (mi/hr) * 8 (furlong/mi) * 1000 (millifurlong/furlong) * 336 (hours/fortnight) * 10^-6 (fortnight/microfortnight)?

ahh thank you, that's the correct answer, thank you for your help :)

Sure - you're welcome!

Related to Convert 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight

1. What is the formula used to convert 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight?

To convert from miles per hour (mph) to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight, the following formula can be used:
1 mph = 0.000005684341 Millifurlongs per Microfortnight. This means that 55mph is equal to 0.000313639755 Millifurlongs per Microfortnight.

2. Why is it important to convert units like mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight?

Converting units allows us to compare and understand measurements that may be expressed in different units. For example, converting 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight allows us to understand the speed in terms of distance traveled over time, which may be useful in certain scientific calculations.

3. How do you use the conversion factor to convert 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight?

The conversion factor is used by multiplying it with the given value to convert to the desired unit. In this case, to convert 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight, we would multiply 55 by 0.000005684341, giving us a result of approximately 0.000313639755 Millifurlongs per Microfortnight.

4. Can you convert other units to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight using the same formula?

Yes, the same formula can be used to convert other units to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight as long as the units being converted are measuring speed. For example, kilometers per hour (km/h) can be converted to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight by using the same conversion factor of 0.000005684341.

5. How can I check if my conversion from 55mph to Millifurlongs per Microfortnight is accurate?

You can check the accuracy of your conversion by using a different conversion tool or calculator, or by using different conversion factors. You can also double-check your work by converting the Millifurlongs per Microfortnight value back to mph using the same conversion factor. The result should be approximately 55mph.