Converting parts per million (ppm) and mol of ions

In summary: Divide 0.90 pm by 1,000,000, which I assume is the grams of substance per kilogram?b. How much fluoride ions would you swallow if you drank 200ml water?c. Convert 0.00036M (molarity) of Ca(OH)2 to ppmd. Find concentration of vitamin c in g L^-1 when 40mg/100ml and do same for carbonhydrate at 8.5g/100mle. Why should antacid tables be chewed before being swallowed?f. Find concentration of vitamin c in g L^-1 when 40mg/100mlg. Calculate
ScienceNewb
1. Fluorine compounds are added to water, the concentration being 0.90 ppm.

a. What amount of fluoride present 1.0g of water?

Solution- (just need to know what the number mean)

Divided 0.90 pm by 1,000,000, which I assume is the grams of substance per kilogram?

Then divided that number by fluorines molar mass (19) to get the answer of 4.7x10^-8

b. How much fluoride ions would you swallow if you drank 200ml water?

2. Convert 0.00036M (molarity) of Ca(OH)2 to ppm

Solution- I found the molar mass of the compound being ~74

3. For 0.20M of K2SO4, calculate mol of K+ ions, Sulfate ions and oxygen atoms

Solution - Molar mass I found to be ~174

4. Why should antacid tables be chewed before being swallowed?

5. Find concentration of vitamin c in g L^-1 when 40mg/100ml and do same for carbonhydrate at 8.5g/100ml

Solution- I'm guessing I just divided 40mg/100ml and 8.5g/0.1L but not sure if this makes sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated...

For #1, ppm means parts per million. If fluoride is added to water to make a concentration of .9 ppm, that means that there are .9g of fluoride per million grams of water. The amount of fluoride in 1 g. of water would be .9/1,000,000 * 1 g.

For #4, what would be the effect of chewing up antacid tablets (not tables) before swallowing them?

Mark44 said:
For #1, ppm means parts per million. If fluoride is added to water to make a concentration of .9 ppm, that means that there are .9g of fluoride per million grams of water. The amount of fluoride in 1 g. of water would be .9/1,000,000 * 1 g.

For #4, what would be the effect of chewing up antacid tablets (not tables) before swallowing them?

Hey thanks!

Could you help me with the 200ml question? I figured out all the rest

ScienceNewb said:
b. How much fluoride ions would you swallow if you drank 200ml water?

I'm not sure what you mean by "how much fluoride ions." This is ambiguous, as it could mean the actual number of fluoride ions or it could be the volume. If you're interested in the volume, the concentration of fluoride ion is .9/1,000,000, so multiply that ratio by the volume of water, 200 ml, to get the volume of fluoride ion.

Mark44 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "how much fluoride ions." This is ambiguous, as it could mean the actual number of fluoride ions or it could be the volume. If you're interested in the volume, the concentration of fluoride ion is .9/1,000,000, so multiply that ratio by the volume of water, 200 ml, to get the volume of fluoride ion.

I think it means the number of ions, the answer at the back is 5.7 times 10^18

From something you said in the first post, the .9 PPM is the concentration by mass. PPM is NOT the number of grams per kg. That would be parts per thousand.

1 PPM would be 1 microgram (one millionth of a gram) of whatever in a gram of the substance it's in.

When you did problem 1a you had .9/1,000,000 * 1 g * 1 mole/19 g = 4.74 x 10-8 moles of Fluoride.

To get the number of molecules, multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's number, which IIRC is 6.022 x 1023.

That will give you the number of Fl molecules in 1 g. of fluoridated water. Take that number an multiply by the number of grams of water in 200 ml.

It's been a very long while since I've done these calculations, so I'm a little rusty, but I don't think I'm steering you wrong.

As a tip, be sure to put units in - otherwise it's very easy to get an answer that's meaningless.

Mark44 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "how much fluoride ions." This is ambiguous, as it could mean the actual number of fluoride ions or it could be the volume.

Volume? No, it is either number of moles or number of ions.

--
methods

What is the difference between ppm and mol of ions?

The main difference between ppm and mol of ions is the unit of measurement. Ppm, or parts per million, is a measure of concentration that indicates the number of parts of a substance per million parts of solution. On the other hand, mol of ions is a measure of the amount of a substance in moles per liter of solution. In simple terms, ppm measures concentration while mol of ions measures quantity.

How do you convert between ppm and mol of ions?

To convert from ppm to mol of ions, you will need to know the molar mass of the substance and the density of the solution. First, convert ppm to mg/L (milligrams per liter) by multiplying by the density. Then, divide by the molar mass to get mol/L. Finally, multiply by the volume of the solution to get the total mol of ions. To convert from mol of ions to ppm, simply reverse the process.

Why is it important to convert between ppm and mol of ions?

Converting between ppm and mol of ions is important in many scientific fields, particularly in chemistry and environmental science. It allows for accurate measurements and comparisons of concentration and quantity of substances in a solution. This is crucial in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and determining the impact of certain substances on the environment.

Can ppm and mol of ions be used interchangeably?

No, ppm and mol of ions cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned earlier, they measure different aspects of a solution - concentration and quantity. Using the wrong unit of measurement can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions. It is important to understand the difference between the two and use the appropriate unit for the specific purpose.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using ppm and mol of ions?

One limitation of using ppm and mol of ions is that they do not take into account the size or charge of the ions in a solution. This can be problematic when dealing with solutions containing different types of ions. Additionally, both units assume that the solution is homogenous, which may not always be the case. It is important to consider these limitations and use other methods if necessary.