Converting Celsius to Kelvin Easy but slightly confusing

In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert a temperature difference from Celsius to Kelvin using calorimetry. The correct method is to simply subtract the two temperatures in Celsius and then add 273 to the result. This is because the size of one degree in both Celsius and Kelvin is the same. The confusion arises from the fact that the difference in temperature is a decrease, resulting in a negative value in Kelvin. However, this negative value represents a positive decrease in temperature.
Spartan Erik

Homework Statement

I'm doing calorimetry, and I have 34.73C and 63C. I need to subtract 63 from 34.73, and get the answer in Kelvin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you add 273 to Celsius values to get Kelvin, but I am not sure which of these methods is correct:

1. (34.73C+273) - (63C+273) = -28.27K
2. 34.73C-63C = -28.27C. Then, -28.27C + 273 = 244.73K

Which one is the correct method? The first one seems unlikely just because the Kelvin's are essentially canceled out in the equation..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one. You are subtracting one temperature from another so the "base"- that is what temperature corresponds to 0- is irrelevant. You could as easily have just said that 34.73- 63= -28.27 degrees. Since 1 degree Celcius is the same "size" as 1 degree Kelvin, the difference is the same in both systems.

Ah I just realized that I was calculating the DECREASE in temperature of hot water, so a negative decrease is a positive value. Thanks!

Last edited:

1. How do I convert a temperature from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. This will give you the equivalent temperature in Kelvin.

2. Why is converting Celsius to Kelvin slightly confusing?

Converting from Celsius to Kelvin can be slightly confusing because the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero, which is -273.15 degrees Celsius. This means that a temperature of 0 Kelvin is equal to -273.15 degrees Celsius, and there are no negative temperatures on the Kelvin scale.

3. Is there an easier way to convert from Celsius to Kelvin?

Yes, there is an easier way to convert from Celsius to Kelvin. You can simply use an online temperature converter or a calculator that has a built-in temperature conversion function. This will save you from having to manually add 273.15 to every temperature.

4. Can I convert from Kelvin to Celsius using the same method?

Yes, you can convert from Kelvin to Celsius using the same method. Simply subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature to get the equivalent temperature in Celsius.

5. What is the purpose of converting Celsius to Kelvin?

The Kelvin scale is often used in scientific and engineering calculations, as it is based on absolute zero and is more convenient for these types of calculations. Converting from Celsius to Kelvin allows for more accurate and precise measurements in these fields.