1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting eV to Joules vs eV to V

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is this true?

2. Relevant equations
    1 eV = 1.6e-19 J
    1 V = 1.6e-19 eV

3. The attempt at a solution

I did a bit of googling and it just seems strange.
    eV multiplied by elementary charge = Joules
    ev divided by elementary charge = Volts

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is correct: 1 eV = 1.6e-19 J

This is not correct: 1 V = 1.6e-19 eV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronvolt

An electron volt is a certain amount of energy, not voltage. By definition, 1 electron volt is the amount of energy it takes to move 1 electron across a potential difference of 1 volt.

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3

grandpa2390

Gold Member

By definition, it is the amount of energy gained (or lost) by the charge of a single electron moved across an electric potential difference of one volt. Thus it is 1 volt (1 joule per coulomb, 1 J/C) multiplied by the elementary charge (e, or 1.602176565(35)×10−19 C).
    this is from the wikipedia page. what does this mean then if it is not saying one electron-volt is equal 1.6e-19 C * 1 Volt

based on that, 1 ev / 1.6e-19 C = 1 Volt, right? or am I missing something?

edit: or was issue not with the conversion, but with the units in my question?
    1 Volt = 1.6e-19 C*eV rather than what I wrote: 1.6e-19 eV

if that be the case, my apologies, I was being hasty with my concern more for the conversion factor than the proper units.

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4

grandpa2390

Gold Member

The reason I am asking is because I have to calculate the the potential difference an electron would have to be accelerated through to give it a certain wavelength.
    so far I have the potential difference = to the kinetic energy divided by 1.6e-19. but that would give a potential difference in electron volts. to convert to volts, shouldn't i divide again by 1.6e-19 Coulombs?

edit: I don't know I am reading something that says an electron gains 1 ev per 1 volt of potential difference. so maybe they are equal for one electron. this is all very confusing.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. Mar 26, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1 electron volt already assumes a potential difference of 1 volt. Since 1 eV ≈ 1.602×10-19 joules, then divide the kinetic energy in joules by 1.602×10-19 to convert the KE of the electron into electron volts. This number will also be the voltage required to accelerate 1 electron such that it has that wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted