Load applied at an angle -- how much force before breaking this die?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of load distribution on a die shaped like a trapezium with a load being applied coaxially to the die. The pressure on the diagonal faces is calculated to be 1.79 MPa and 2.1 MPa. The concept of attrition and other factors are mentioned, and the conversation ends with a suggestion for further reading on the topic.
Manganese
Hello,
I was toying around with shapes and dies and wanted to calculate the load distribution in all spots so to get a rough idea of the maximum load I can use before breaking the die. The "problem" is as follows: I have a die shaped like a trapezium and I have to press an item (5-10mm thick) (yellow) in between. If the load is applied coaxially to the die, what is the pressure in the diagonal faces? (ignore the sharp edges, pretend they are rounded)

upper surface area, A1 = 70 x 70 mm = 4900 mm2
lower surface area, A2 = 70 x 70 mm = 4900 mm2
upper internal area, A3 = 30 x 70 mm = 2100 mm2
lower internal area, A4 = 23 x 70 mm = 1610 mm2
diagonal upper area, A5 = 40 x 70 mm = 2800 mm2
diagonal lower area, A6 = 33.96 x 70 = 2377.2 mm2
angle = 60°

The load is applied perpendicularly to the outer faces (A1 and A2) and is
F1 = 10000 N
so
P1 = P2 = 10000N/4900mm2 = 2.04 MPa (the pressure on the outer faces)

Since the internal faces, A3 and A4, are parallel to the outer faces A1 and A2, the force is also the same and so the pressures applied on the internal areas would be
P3 = 10000N/2100mm2 = 4.76 MPa
P4 = 10000N/1610mm2 = 6.21 MPa

Now, how is the load applied to the diagonal faces? And how much the pressure? Let's assume no attrition for ease, can this be treated the same as an object on an inclined plane?

In that case, the relative force perpendicular to the diagonal faces would be
F5 = F1⋅cosθ = 10000N*cos60° = 5000N
and the pressure on the diagonal faces would be
P5 = F5/A5 = 5000N/2800mm2 = 1.79 MPa
P6 = F5/A6 = 5000N/2377.2mm2 = 2.1 MPa

Is this conceptually correct? Of course in reality there is also attrition to take into account or nasty edges where stress is intensified, I just wanted to get a rough idea of how the load/stress is distributed (especially on the diagonal faces).

Or as the die is being pressed, the lower part will try to "open" the upper part and rip apart the two outer "triangles"? Does this fall under a specific topic on dies, presses etc? How do I look this up? Thanks

Attachments

• 1555059456579.png
    1555059456579.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Manganese said:
Does this fall under a specific topic on dies, presses etc? How do I look this up? Thanks

That depends on the process. If you are squashing a lump of material, the process is forging. If you are forming a sheet of material, the process is forming or sheet forming.

An excellent source for forming and forging is Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials, by Serope Kalpakjian. It is clearly written and easy to understand, with clear diagrams. My copy is a first edition with "only" 839 pages, while the latest 6th edition has over 1100 pages.

1. How is the angle of load applied related to the force required to break the die?

The angle of load applied is directly proportional to the force required to break the die. This means that as the angle of load increases, the force required to break the die also increases.

2. What is the significance of applying load at an angle instead of directly downwards?

Applying load at an angle allows for a more realistic simulation of real-world scenarios. In many situations, objects are not loaded directly downwards, so testing at an angle can provide more accurate results.

3. How does the material of the die affect the force required to break it at an angle?

The material of the die plays a significant role in determining the force required to break it at an angle. Different materials have different strengths and weaknesses, so the force required to break them will vary.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the force required to break a die at a given angle?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to calculate the force required to break a die at a given angle. These formulas take into account factors such as the angle of load, the material properties of the die, and the dimensions of the die.

5. Can the force required to break a die at an angle be accurately predicted?

While formulas and calculations can provide an estimate, the force required to break a die at an angle can vary depending on many factors. It is best to perform physical testing to determine the exact force needed in a specific scenario.