1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting Kcal/day to umol/g/h

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    *Sorry, I got the prefix in the subject wrong... it's supposed to be KCal/day to mmol/g/h, not micromoles
    How do I convert kilocalories/day to millimoles/g/h?

2. Relevant equations
    Obviously there are 24 hours in a day, but I don't know how to go from KCal to millimol/g

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2
    Presumably you have some reaction(s) to which you want to apply this to? Do you have any enthalpy or free energy changes available?

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Re: Converting Kcal/day to mmol/g/h

No, it's not a chemical reaction. We're working with Basal Metabolism Rates (BMR) in physiology right now, where BMR is measured in kilocalories/day. I need to convert it to millimoles/g/h to apply it to the weight of a mouse.
    So I just need to know how to convert the units.

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4
    Well, do you know what it is you're metabolising?

If you have a reaction that gives off e.g. 100 kcal / mol, and that the molecular weight of your substrate is e.g 500 g / mol, you can say that the reaction gives off 0.2 kcal / g. Not sure if that helps?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook