Converting kcal/h to J/gal for fuel economy comparison

  • Thread starter Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
AznBoi
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
I've come across a problem and I have no idea on how to solve it.. I know it involves converting units but how do you convert kcal/h into J/gal? Please take your time to help me get started. Thanks!

Here is the problem:
For saving energy, bicycling and walking are far more efficient means of transportation than is travel by automobile. For example, when riding at 10 mi/h, a cyclist uses food energy at a rate of about 400kcal/h above what he would use if merely sitting still. (In exercise physiology, power is often measured in kcal/h rather than in watts. Here 1 kcal=1 nutritionist's Calorie = 4,186 J) Walking at 3mi/h requires about 220 kcal/h. It is interesting to compare these values with the nergy consumption required for travel by car. Gasoline yields about 1.30 x 10^8 J/gal. Find the fuel economy in equivalent miles per gallon for a pesron a) walking, and b) bycicling.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's all right there in the problem. Just read it a bit more carefully, starting with the fuel economy for walking.
 
Yeah I figured it out. I just kept converting and converting lol until I ended up with mi/gal. k thanks