Converting torque and rpm to power in watts and horsepower

  • Thread starter Thread starter alfmaniac
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
alfmaniac
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Okay, I am going crazy over this one! An automobile engine develops a torque of 280 Nm at 3800 rpm. What is the power in watts and in horsepower?

I have converted the 3800 rpm to 63.3 rev/sec and I know that power is equal to work over time but I am not sure how to figure out work and there is no specific time given. Any hints or tips?? Please! :cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: Work in a rotating system is torque times angle turned.
 


Sure, I can help you with this problem! First, let's start by understanding what torque and power are. Torque is a measure of the rotational force or twisting force produced by an engine, while power is the rate at which work is done. In this case, we are given the torque of 280 Nm at 3800 rpm. To convert this to power, we need to use the formula: Power = (Torque x Speed)/ 9.55, where torque is in Nm and speed is in revolutions per minute (rpm).

So, let's plug in the values: Power = (280 Nm x 3800 rpm)/9.55 = 111200 W. This is the power in watts. To convert it to horsepower, we simply divide by 746 (since 1 horsepower = 746 watts). So, the power in horsepower would be 111200 W/ 746 = 149.06 hp.

I hope this helps! Just remember to use the correct units and formula, and you should be able to solve any similar problem in the future. Happy calculating!