Convex lens questionCant find the equation i need. Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the size of the moon's image on a screen using a convex lens with a focal point of 0.8m. The formula 1/v = 1/f - 1/u is suggested, with u representing the distance from the lens to the object and v representing the distance from the lens to the image. It is determined that since the moon is so far away, its object distance can be considered infinite. The final equation is 1/v = 1/0.8 - 0, leading to a calculated image distance of 4m. However, the conversation also mentions considering the angle of view, which may affect the equation.
sidge2222
A convex lens of focal point 0.8m focuses a real image of the moon onto a screen. If the moon subtends an angle of 0.5 degrees to an observer on earth, calculate the size of the moons image on the screen?

Thats the question guys, I am really struggling to find the appropriate equation as we havnt been given any by out lecturer as he's been off ill. It needs be in after half term and we don't have any equations, i would greatly appreciate any help.

Im new to this forum so just wanted to say hi to everyone as well :)

Si

Physics news on Phys.org
Because i have the focal point of 0.8, I am assuming that i should use the normal lens equation of 1/f = 1/u + 1/v which would be rearranged to 1/v = 1/f - 1/u because v = lens to image, so because I am after the size of the moons image on the screen this is what I am thinking is the correct equation. Am i right in thinking this guys??

So if I am after v, i need to obtain u in order to complete the equation - so am i right in thinking i need a sort of equation in order to convert the 0.5 degrees into a relevant figure??

Looking forward to your replies :)

Si

bump - sorry

If you draw a picture you can find out how is the angle of view related to the ratio of the object height to the object distance and that of the image height to the image distance. As for the object distance, the Moon is so far away that the object distance can be considered infinity. Where will be the image than?

ehild

so if u is infinitie that means its 1 right?

then my complete equation will be:

1/v = 1/f - 1/u

1/v = 1/0.8 - 1/1

1/v = 1/0.25

v = 4m

This seem right guys?? I am unsure as I am missing the moon subtending an angle of 0.5 degrees, which too be honest I am quite unsure about

thanks for the reply so far and for everyone that's had a read :)

Si

1 is not infinite. At the limit u→∞ 1/u→0.

ehild

What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge towards a focal point. It is also known as a converging lens.

What is the equation for a convex lens?

The equation for a convex lens is 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the distance of the object from the lens, and v is the distance of the image from the lens.

How do you find the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens can be found by using the equation 1/f = 1/u + 1/v and solving for f. It can also be measured by placing an object at a known distance from the lens and measuring the distance of the image formed.

What is a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be coming from a certain point, but do not actually converge at that point, and cannot be projected onto a screen.

How does a convex lens magnify an object?

A convex lens magnifies an object by bending and converging the light rays from the object, causing the image to appear larger than the original object. The degree of magnification is dependent on the focal length of the lens and the distance of the object from the lens.