1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convolution of a polynomial with itself

1. May 11, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Again, in my quest to learn things I won't use in a class for at least a year, I've been looking at convolutions. Specifically, after finishing the multiple choice section of an AP Chemistry test 50 minutes early, I looked at the convolution of a polynomial with itself. I'm confused about one thing, though.

Here's what I have:

[tex]t^m \star t^m = t^{2m+1} \sum_{n=1}^{m+1} \frac{\binom{m}{n}}{n+m}[/tex]

However, I don't like that sum in the solution, I don't think I computed it right, and I want it gone. Is there any way to do that?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't look like the convolution I learned quite a few years ago, which was this:
    [tex](f \star g)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\tau)g(t - \tau)d\tau[/tex]

4. May 12, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Hmm... I used the same formula, but the bounds I learned were from 0 to t. Using that, I came up with the OP formula for the convolution of a polynomial (really a monomial, now that I think about it, but I can't change the title) with itself.

5. May 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I got the formula I posted from Wikipedia, but it's the same formula that I remember from when I studied convolution way back when. If you can show us how you got your summation formula from the definition it would be helpful.

6. May 12, 2010 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

It was just the pattern I noticed. For example...

For t:

[tex]t^3(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})[/tex]

For t^2:

[tex]t^5(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{2}{4}+\frac{1}{5})[/tex]

For t^3:

[tex]t^7(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{3}{5}+\frac{3}{6}-\frac{1}{7})[/tex]

For t^4:

[tex]t^9(\frac{1}{5}-\frac{4}{6}+\frac{6}{7}-\frac{4}{8}+\frac{1}{9})[/tex]

The summation was my attempt at phrasing this pattern, which of course I forgot to put in a (-1)^(n+1). I just noticed that the denominators for t^m's convolution with itself were in consecutive integers from m+1 to 2m+1, and the numberators were each a row of Pascal's triangle, which if I remember right is also the binomial coefficients.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook