Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution product between x² and x³

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    I tryied make the convolution product between x² and x³ by ##\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f(u) g(x-u) du## and the result is an indeterminate form, however, by defintion ##\int_{0}^{x} f(u) g(x-u) du##, the result is 1/60 x6. So, [tex]\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f(u) g(x-u) du \overset{?}{=} \frac{1}{60} x^6[/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you did, please.

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    imagem.png

BTW, exist a symmetric algebraic definition for convolution where the graphic of the function f(x) is moved oppositely to g(x) and vice-versa (different of the standard definition, where a function is fixed and the another is moved over the first)? I tryied ##\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f(\frac{1}{2}x+u) g(\frac{1}{2}x-u) du##, but this expression isn't equal to the convolution of f and g...

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so far.

According to you, how does this follow exactly:

6. Apr 14, 2014 #5
    This equation isn't an affirmation, is a question. In acctually, I'm asking if ##\int_{- \infty}^{+\infty} f(u)g(x−u)du## is equal to ##\int_{0}^{x} f(u)g(x−u)du##.

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I know it's a question. But you're not going to learn much if we solve the question for you. So again, why do you think it's equal? Try to give the proof you're thinking of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook