Sure way to convert variable integral to infinite integral?

In summary, you can convert an integral of the form ##F(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty}f(g(u),x)du## into an infinite integral of the form ##F(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty}f(g(u),x)du## by making a substitution for ##y(x) = \int_{0}^{x}(f(x,s)ds); s \rightarrow \frac{u}{x}## that changes the bound from ##0 \rightarrow x## to ##0 \rightarrow 1##.
LieToMe
Sometimes I would like to transform an integral ##F(x) = \int_{a}^{x}f(s)ds## into an infinite integral of the form ##F(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty}f(g(u),x)du##. Is there some kind of change of variables that can guarantee this conversion on the boundaries and still give me a function of ##x##, at least with some assumptions like differentiable or invertibility? Or are there maybe certain classes of functions for which this would work like it exists on ##(0,\infty)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about
[tex]\int_0^\infty f(u+a)[1-\theta(u-x+a)]du[/tex]
where ##\theta(x)## = 0 for x<0, 1 for x>0 ?

Last edited:
That looks interesting, but is there a method to deduce ##\theta##?

Wait, are you saying that you just multiply the function by 0 over a certain bound and take it to infinity? I don't know if that quite works because I am looking for is a change of variables and it doesn't quite make sense to change a general integrable function to a constant. But for instance, it is reasonable to make a change of variables that might change an integral to something like the integral for the gamma function.

I am pretty sure it works or not depends on what you want to do after conversion. Tell me your investigation on your problem if you please.

anuttarasammyak said:
I am pretty sure it works or not depends on what you want to do after conversion. Tell me your investigation on your problem if you please.
I recall playing around with Beta-like integrals and there was a substitution I could make for ##y(x) = \int_{0}^{x}(f(x,s)ds); s \rightarrow \frac{u}{x}## that changed the bound from ##0 \rightarrow x## to ##0 \rightarrow 1## which then allowed me to satisfy the definition of the beta function. I feel like a similar thing should be possible but with an infinite bound, that there should be some guaranteed way to make a bound go from 0 to infinity.

[tex]y(x)=\int_0^x f(x,s)ds[/tex]
[tex]u= tan \frac{\pi s}{2x}[/tex]
[tex]s=\frac{2x}{\pi} tan^{-1}u[/tex]
[tex]y(x)=\frac{2x}{\pi} \int_0^\infty f(x,\frac{2x}{\pi} tan^{-1}u)\frac{d\tan^{-1}u}{du}du[/tex]
Though divergence at u=0 should be investigated, it might be a kind of your line of transformation.

That seems like a good idea. So more generally, an invertible function which maps 0 to 0 and has a horizontal asymptote as ##x \rightarrow \infty##.

Last edited:
[itex][0, \infty) \to [0, 1) : x \mapsto \tanh(x)[/itex] is the usual choice for turning an infinite reange into a finite range.

Likes fresh_42
For completeness: [tex]
\int_a^x f(s)\,ds = \int_0^\infty f\left(a + (x - a)\tanh t\right)\frac{(x - a)}{\cosh^2 t}\,dt.[/tex]

Likes anuttarasammyak and etotheipi

1. What is a variable integral and how is it different from an infinite integral?

A variable integral is an integral that has a variable as one of its limits. This means that the value of the integral changes depending on the value of the variable. On the other hand, an infinite integral has fixed limits and the value of the integral does not change.

2. Why would someone want to convert a variable integral to an infinite integral?

Converting a variable integral to an infinite integral can make it easier to solve and integrate. It also allows for the use of certain integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, which may not be applicable to variable integrals.

3. How do you convert a variable integral to an infinite integral?

To convert a variable integral to an infinite integral, you need to use a change of variables. This involves substituting a new variable in place of the original variable and adjusting the limits of integration accordingly. The new variable should be chosen in such a way that the limits of integration become infinite.

4. Are there any limitations to converting a variable integral to an infinite integral?

Yes, there are certain limitations to this conversion. It may not be possible to convert a variable integral to an infinite integral if the original integral has certain properties, such as being improper or having singularities. In such cases, other integration techniques may need to be used.

5. Can converting a variable integral to an infinite integral affect the accuracy of the solution?

No, converting a variable integral to an infinite integral does not affect the accuracy of the solution. As long as the change of variables is done correctly, the value of the integral will remain the same. However, it may make the integral easier to solve and provide a more efficient method of integration.