Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution Proof of time scaling property

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    Time scaling proof.png

Hello

I don't quiet understand how the integration in the picture works...
    I must have forgotten something...

Can anyone explain what is used?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi
    welcome to PF

looks like a maths problem , not EE have asked for it to be moved

take care to post questions in the correct section :)

Cheers
    Dave

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I see no place, in what you have posted, where "c(at)" is defined! In any case, the part you have enclosed in red, on the left, is identical to the calculation on the right. Do you not have a problem with that? In any case, it is impossible to say why that integral is equal to c(at) without knowing how the fuction, c, is defined.

5. Oct 17, 2014 #4
    The interesting part happens between the very first integral and the one you've outlined in red. That's when the change in variable happens and when the scaling factor comes into the mix.

I'm pretty sure c(t) has the form of the outlined integral, as that is the standard convolution integral, and as such is just a convenience.

Of course I might be wrong :-)

6. Oct 17, 2014 #5
    I agree with Lord Crc. They have not actually integrated anything. They have just defined a function c by the equation
    [tex]c(at) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(m)g(at - m)\, dm[/tex]
    Since the variable m is integrated over, the value of the integral is indeed only a function of at. They probably chose the letter c to mean "convolution integral".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook