Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convultion with Delta Function

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    I can remember from Differential Equations that any function convolved with a delta function results in a copy of the function located at the impulese.

That is, [tex]x(t) * \delta(t-5) = x(t-5)[/tex]

However, I can't remember why. This is really irritating me since I need to use this concept for my courses, yet I can't remember why this is true. This makes sense... but I get stuck when trying to evaluate the following integral:

[tex]\int_0^t \delta(t - \tau) d \tau[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is the convolution defined? Also, remember [itex]\delta (t-5) = (\delta \circ \epsilon )(t)[/itex] where [itex]\epsilon : t \mapsto t-5[/itex]. I haven't worked with convolutions, but looking it up the definition on Mathworld, the equation above seems obvious:

[tex]x * (\delta \circ \epsilon ) = \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )(\delta \circ \epsilon )(t - \tau )d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )\delta ((t - \tau) - 5)d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )\delta ((t - 5) - \tau)d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= x(t - 5)[/tex]

where the last line follows by the definition of the delta function.
  4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks, AKG!

I don't know why that waws stumping me -- I really appreciate your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?