1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent three dimensional dirac delta function

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    Ok so for equations of spherical wave in fluid the point source is modeled as a body force term which is given by time dependent 3 dimensional dirac delta function f=f(t)δ(x-y) x and y are vectors.
    so we reach an equation with ∫f(t)δ(x-y)dV(x) over the volume V. In the text book it then says that using sampling properties of dirac delta over a small spherical volume
    ∫f(t)δ(x-y)dV(x)=-f(t)
    Can someone please explain to me what this means?? and how the final answer was got?
    I know the properties of the dirac delta function but here it's time dependent and 3d so how do i get the corresponding answer?
    The book is Fundamentals of Non destructive evaluation by lester schmerr

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

The time dependent factor f(t) is not part of the delta function. It therefore can be taken out of the integration, since the integral does not involve time. This leaves you wth an integral over all space of the delta function, which equals 1.

4. Nov 28, 2015 #3
    Ah alright.. I thought this would be the answer but wasn't sure.. thanks a ton!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook