1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinates of a point outside a plane

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    Hello,

If you can get me a hint for solving this matter it would be much appreciated.

I have the 3D coordinates of three points on a plane A, B, C.

There's another point G and we know AG, BG, CG.

My problem is to find the coordinates of point G:cry:

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

G=(A+AG,B+BG,C+CG) unless I don't understand what you are saying.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    If you are given:

A=(A_1,A_2,A_3)
    B=(B_1,B_2,B_3)
    C=(C_1,C_2,C_3)

And you want to find G=(G_1,G_2,G_3), then knowing:

1) AG=|A-G|=((A_1-G_1)^2+(A_2-G_2)^2+(A_3-G_3)^2)^(1/2)
    2) BG=|B-G|
    3) CG=|C-G|

is not enough information.

Let h be the perpendicular distance from G to the plane. Then if A, B, and C and there is another point G' on the other side of the plane with perpendicular distance h from the plane also satisfynig 1, 2 and 3 so the solution is not unique. If A, B, and C are collinear you can find an entire circle of points satisfying 1, 2 and 3.

If you know that the A, B, and C are not collinear and which side of the plane G is on, then you can solve for the components of G using the distance formula or trigonometry.

5. Jun 3, 2012 #4
    Thanks mathman and sin(1/x) for your input :shy:.

I've made a drawing with the problem. I hope all the data are there.

Sorry for my omissions.

Attached Files:

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5

mathman

Science Advisor

I get it now. G=A + |AG|a = B + |BG|b = C + |CG|c, where a,b,c are (unknown) unit vectors. By eliminating G, you will have 6 linear equations for the coordinates of a,b, and c. Using the fact they are unit vectors gives 3 quadratic equations. Solving for them will give you the vectors a,b,c. There will be 2 true solutions. When you solve the quadratics there will be extra solutions, so you need to check to see if you get the same value for G from a given set a,b,c.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook