Can I donate my baby's cord blood if I can't afford banking?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cassandra4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blood
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
cassandra4
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
We can't afford to bank the babies cord blood, but I know how beneficial it is. Is there some way I can donate it so even though we can't store it some other child could benefit?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
You could ask about it at your local hospital or childrens hospital.
 
Right now, it's only theoretically beneficial anyway, so don't fret too much. People storing cord blood are banking on the expectation that there will be advances in science and medicine to make it useful in the future, but there's no guarantee of that.
 
What's your opinion on cord blood banking?
http://www.healthknow.info/cord_blood.asp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think its wonderful what they are able to cure with donated cord blood{stem cells}. So much research is going on in that field. Their is great promise for cures in a wider variety of cancers, Parkinson's disease, sickle-cell anemia, spinal cord injuries, and muscle tissue damage.