Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corollary to Correspondence Theorem for Modules

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1
    I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra and I am currently focused on Section 6.1 Modules ...

I need some help with the proof of Corollary 6.25 ... Corollary to Theorem 6.22 (Correspondence Theorem) ... ...

Corollary 6.25 and its proof read as follows:

?temp_hash=3e7e3658af5514dc0972081c2217eed4.png

Can someone explain to me exactly how Corollary 6.25 follows from the Correspondence Theorem for Modules ...?

Hope that someone can help ...

Peter

=============================================

*** EDIT ***

The above post refers to the Correspondence Theorem for Modules (Theorem 6.22 in Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra) ... so I am proving the text of the Theorem from Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra as follows:

?temp_hash=3e7e3658af5514dc0972081c2217eed4.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If I is a maximal ideal of R and M := R / I then a submodule of M is of the form S / I with I ⊆ S ⊆ R (6.22). The module property makes S an ideal of R. So either S = I, i.e. S / I = 0, or S = R, i.e. S / I = M, which means M is simple. On the other hand, if M is a simple R left module then we can pick an element m ∈ M, m ≠ 0. Then φ : R → M with φ(r) := r.m defines a ring homomorphism. φ cannot be 0, because otherwise {m} would be a non-zero submodule of M. (We suppose that either R has a 1 and 1.m = m or more generally require that R doesn't operate trivially on M, i.e. R.M may not be {0}.) Since im φ is a non-zero submodule of M and M is simple, φ has to be surjective (im φ = M) with kernel I:= ker φ.
    Therefore R / I = R / ker φ ≅ im φ = M.
    According to Theorem 6.22 the absence of submodules of M ≅ R / I implies the absence of ideals in R containing I, i.e. I is a maximal left ideal.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Thanks so much for your analysis Fresh 42 ... most helpful ...

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook