Correct statement related to common tangents of circles

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circles Geometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 4K views
songoku
Messages
2,519
Reaction score
395
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
(external common tangent)[SUP]2[/SUP] = (distance between center)[SUP]2[/SUP] - (R - r)[SUP]2[/SUP]
1716902993535.png


Let R = radius of big circle and r = radius of small circle.

I worked out that ##R \times r=144## but then not sure how to proceed. I also know AB = CD = 24 cm.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a diagram with very different radii, you could easily see the right answer.
Also, for answering (i), draw the radius that are perpendicular to the tangents for each circle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: songoku and BvU
Lnewqban said:
If you draw a diagram with very different radii, you could easily see the right answer.
Also, for answering (i), draw the radius that are perpendicular to the tangents for each circle.
I understand. The correct answer is (B).

Thank you very much Lnewqban
 
songoku said:
I understand. The correct answer is (B).

Thank you very much Lnewqban
I am not sure about that answer, songoku.
Is it the official correct one?
 
Lnewqban said:
I am not sure about that answer, songoku.
Is it the official correct one?
No, it is not official answer. It is my own answer.

I thought the value of PB and PE will be the same since it is tangent from common point. Same thing for PE and PA so it means that PA = PB = 12 cm.

I used the same reasoning for QD and QE and also QE and QC so QD = QC = 12 cm

Since PE = 12 cm and QE = 12 cm so PQ = 24 cm

Is there something wrong with my working? Thanks
 
songoku said:
No, it is not official answer. It is my own answer.

I thought the value of PB and PE will be the same since it is tangent from common point. Same thing for PE and PA so it means that PA = PB = 12 cm.

I used the same reasoning for QD and QE and also QE and QC so QD = QC = 12 cm

Since PE = 12 cm and QE = 12 cm so PQ = 24 cm

Is there something wrong with my working? Thanks
Your reasoning and working are perfect.
Mine were not.
Thank you!

Common tangents of circles.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and songoku