1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correctness of my equation relative to the standard given in the text

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a polynomial P(x) and a divisor D(x), divide P(x) by D(x) and return the answer in the form P(x)/D(x) = Q(x) + R(x)/D(x)

In this case: P(x) = 4x^2 - 3x - 7
    D(x) = 2x -1

2. Relevant equations

The one given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the problem using synthetic division and ascertained: P(x)/D(x) = 2x - (x + 7)/(2x - 1)

It's part of a summer engineering program. The TA, however, counted this wrong. Could somebody tell me what the heck the problem with it is? I mean, I checked with wolfram, and evidently this is right. But... I guess not! Help is much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

The degree of R(x) has to be smaller than the degree of D(x). Since the degree of D(x) is 1, then R(x) has to be a constant.

Also, how did you use synthetic division for this problem? Synthetic division is normally used when D(x) is in the form x - c (c being a number).

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your "remainder", (-x- 7)/(2x- 1) can be further divided: -(1/2)- (13/2)/(2x-1)

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    That looks absolutely terrible in terms of written form, but alright. I thought R(x) had to be a function containing x. I see now. Thanks. Oh and sorry i meant long division, I posted that around 1 last night. Haha

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    Remember f(x) = 4 is a perfectly valid function in terms of x. Just because the function notation has a variable in it does not mean it HAS to be in the equation just like our constant function or even f(x) = y.

Also the thinking behind the remainder comes from number division. Say you are dividing 10 by 3. You wouldn't say that 3 goes into 10 twice remainder 4 would you? You don't want your remained to be bigger than your divisor. In this case 3 can go into 10 one more time can't it?

Similarly with polynomials 2x - 1 can go into -x - 7 one more time. It goes in -1/2 more times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook