Correctness of my equation relative to the standard given in the text

In summary, the problem involves dividing a polynomial P(x) by a divisor D(x) and returning the answer in the form P(x)/D(x) = Q(x) + R(x)/D(x). The solution involves using long division, and the remainder R(x) must have a smaller degree than the divisor D(x). In the given example, P(x) = 4x^2 - 3x - 7 and D(x) = 2x - 1. The quotient is 2x - (x + 7)/(2x - 1), and the remainder can be further divided into -(1/2) - (13/2)/(2x - 1). This is because the remainder
GOPgabe

Homework Statement

Given a polynomial P(x) and a divisor D(x), divide P(x) by D(x) and return the answer in the form P(x)/D(x) = Q(x) + R(x)/D(x)

In this case: P(x) = 4x^2 - 3x - 7
D(x) = 2x -1

Homework Equations

The one given above

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the problem using synthetic division and ascertained: P(x)/D(x) = 2x - (x + 7)/(2x - 1)

It's part of a summer engineering program. The TA, however, counted this wrong. Could somebody tell me what the heck the problem with it is? I mean, I checked with wolfram, and evidently this is right. But... I guess not! Help is much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The degree of R(x) has to be smaller than the degree of D(x). Since the degree of D(x) is 1, then R(x) has to be a constant.

Also, how did you use synthetic division for this problem? Synthetic division is normally used when D(x) is in the form x - c (c being a number).

Your "remainder", (-x- 7)/(2x- 1) can be further divided: -(1/2)- (13/2)/(2x-1)

That looks absolutely terrible in terms of written form, but alright. I thought R(x) had to be a function containing x. I see now. Thanks. Oh and sorry i meant long division, I posted that around 1 last night. Haha

GOPgabe said:
That looks absolutely terrible in terms of written form, but alright. I thought R(x) had to be a function containing x. I see now. Thanks. Oh and sorry i meant long division, I posted that around 1 last night. Haha

Remember f(x) = 4 is a perfectly valid function in terms of x. Just because the function notation has a variable in it does not mean it HAS to be in the equation just like our constant function or even f(x) = y.

Also the thinking behind the remainder comes from number division. Say you are dividing 10 by 3. You wouldn't say that 3 goes into 10 twice remainder 4 would you? You don't want your remained to be bigger than your divisor. In this case 3 can go into 10 one more time can't it?

Similarly with polynomials 2x - 1 can go into -x - 7 one more time. It goes in -1/2 more times.

1. What is the standard for an equation to be considered correct?

The standard for an equation to be considered correct may vary depending on the subject or field of study. However, in general, an equation is considered correct if it accurately represents the relationship between the variables and follows the accepted mathematical rules and conventions.

2. How do I know if my equation is correct?

To determine if your equation is correct, you can compare it to the standard equation given in the text or consult with a subject matter expert. You can also check if your equation follows the accepted mathematical rules and conventions and if it accurately represents the relationship between the variables.

3. What are some common errors that can make an equation incorrect?

Some common errors that can make an equation incorrect include using the wrong mathematical operator, missing or incorrect variables, using incorrect units, and incorrect order of operations. It is also essential to check for any typos or mistakes in the equation.

4. Can an equation be correct but still produce incorrect results?

Yes, an equation can be technically correct but still produce incorrect results if it is based on incorrect assumptions or data. It is crucial to double-check the accuracy of the data and assumptions used in the equation to ensure the results are valid and reliable.

5. How can I improve the correctness of my equation?

To improve the correctness of your equation, you can review and compare it to the standard equation given in the text, consult with a subject matter expert, and double-check for any potential errors or mistakes. You can also validate the accuracy of your data and assumptions and use appropriate units and mathematical operators.