Correlation between Test Scores and Academic Success

In summary, there is a correlation between standardized test scores and academic performance in math and science. However, it is not necessarily causation.
DrewD
I recall reading that, while it is not true for all fields, there is a correlation between standardized test scores and academic performance in math and science. I did a quick search, but couldn't find much information that was specific to math and science.

I teach AP Calculus and this subject came up while talking to a student about her performance on tests. Obviously, I told her that she should work hard to do well on the tests, but in the long run, she could be successful even without doing well on the tests. The discussion made me wonder what the research actually shows.

I am mostly interested in a relationship between high school standardized tests (AP, SAT, ACT), but other tests would be interesting as well. I would appreciate any guidance toward relevant research.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yes - there is correlation between the academic ability of a student and his test scores. But it is not necessarily causation. Students who are in, and succeed in, rigorous courses (AP Chem, AP English, AP Biology, etc.) are going to be better test takers. Students who perform well in school pay more attention.

Alone, it is difficult to predict test scores. Very good students can do poorly on these standardized tests (ie. ACT, SAT, MCAT, LSAT, etc.). Lazier students who are very smart, may get mediocre grades but do great on standardized tests. However, this is a correlation because intelligent students are more likely to be better test takers.

Ritzycat said:
However, this is a correlation because intelligent students are more likely to be better test takers.

To add to that, less intelligent, but hardworking students are as likely if not more likely to ultimately be successful in their careers/academia.

Is there actually any correlation? There is no point in explaining the correlation before actually showing that there is one. The small amount that I found showed that there is NOT a correlation in general across all fields of study. I am interested in seeing evidence that math and physics have or do not have a correlation before trying to explain why there is a correlation.

The correlation is the topic of Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein's The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life (1994, Free Press). The book has several appendixes valuable in themselves.

DrewD said:
Is there actually any correlation?

ETS has a page with some studies: https://www.ets.org/gre/research/validity_evidence_predicting_grad_success

1. What is correlation and how is it calculated?

Correlation is a statistical measure that determines the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. In the case of the correlation between test scores and academic success, it measures how closely related these two factors are. The correlation coefficient, typically denoted by r, is a number between -1 and 1, with 0 indicating no correlation, 1 indicating a perfect positive correlation, and -1 indicating a perfect negative correlation.

2. How are test scores and academic success defined for this correlation?

Test scores are typically defined as the numerical results of exams, quizzes, or other assessments that measure a student's knowledge and understanding of a particular subject. Academic success, on the other hand, can be defined in multiple ways, but for this correlation, it is often measured by a student's grades or GPA (Grade Point Average).

3. Is correlation the same as causation?

No, correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Just because there is a strong correlation between test scores and academic success does not mean that one causes the other. There could be other variables at play that influence both factors, such as study habits or socioeconomic status.

4. What does a positive or negative correlation between test scores and academic success indicate?

A positive correlation means that as one variable (test scores) increases, the other variable (academic success) also tends to increase. This indicates that there is a direct relationship between the two factors. On the other hand, a negative correlation means that as one variable increases, the other tends to decrease. This indicates an inverse relationship between the two factors.

5. Is there a significant correlation between test scores and academic success?

This question can only be answered by analyzing the data and calculating the correlation coefficient. A correlation of 0.5 or higher is generally considered to be a moderate to strong correlation, while a coefficient below 0.5 indicates a weak correlation. However, the significance of the correlation also depends on the sample size and other factors. It is important to interpret the correlation in the context of the specific study and its limitations.