1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine = Contraction? (Banach)

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    So in Analysis I we explained the convergence of cos to a fixed value by Banach's contraction theorem. But is the cos a strict contraction? Is that obvious? (What is its contraction factor?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    It's not obvious to me that cosine is a strict contraction on the whole real line. In fact, I'm not sure it's even true. For instance, around pi/2 seems to pose many problems. Was the contraction restricted to an interval?
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    As Tedjn mentioned you need to restrict cosine to a small enough interval due to the behavior near pi/2 (and kpi+pi/2 for all integers k). In fact it's a well-known trigonometric identity that [itex]\sin(h)/h \to 1[/itex] as [itex]h\to 0[/itex] so this gives us:
    [tex]\left|\frac{\cos(\pi/2-h) -\cos(\pi/2)}{\pi/2-h-\pi/2}\right| = \frac{\cos(\pi/2-h)}{h} = \frac{\sin(h)}{h} \to 1[/tex]
    for [itex]h \to 0[/itex]. This shows in particular:
    [tex]d(\cos(\pi/2),\cos(x)) \to d(\pi/2,x) \qquad \mbox{for }x \to \pi/2[/tex]
    so if you choose a contraction factor k < 1 it would result in a contradiction for x close enough to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

However it's possible to show that cos is a contraction mapping defined on any set of the form [itex][-\pi/2+\epsilon,\pi/2-\epsilon][/itex] where [itex]0 < \epsilon < \pi/2[/itex]. In fact we know [itex]|sin h| < |h|[/itex] for all h in [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. Let [itex]k=\sin(\pi/2-\epsilon) < 1[/itex]. Using the identity:
    [tex]\cos y - \cos x = 2\sin\left(\frac{x+y}{2}\right)\sin\left(\frac{x-y}{2}\right)[/tex]
    we have:
    f(x,y) = \left|\frac{\cos y - \cos x}{y - x}\right| &= \left|2\sin\left(\frac{x+y}{2}\right)\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-y}{2}\right)}{x-y}\right| \\
    &= \left|\sin\left(\frac{x+y}{2}\right)\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-y}{2}\right)}{\frac{x-y}{2}}\right|
    Clearly a least upper bound for f(x,y) is equivalent to a contraction factor. We can fix [itex]x=pi/2-\epsilon[/itex] and let y approach x from below. Then the first term of f(x,y) approaches [itex]\sin(\pi/2-\epsilon)[/itex] and the second approaches 1, so f(x,y) will approach [tex]k=sin(\pi/2-\epsilon)[/tex]. This shows that the contraction factor must at least be k. On the other hand we have:
    [tex]\left|\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-y}{2}\right)}{\frac{x-y}{2}}\right| \leq 1[/tex]
    [tex]|f(x,y)| \leq \left|sin\left(\frac{x+y}{2}\right)\right| \leq \sin(\pi/2-\epsilon) = k[/tex]
    which shows that k is actually the contraction factor for cos defined on [itex][-\pi/2+\epsilon,\pi/2-\epsilon][/itex].

This should however be sufficient as [itex]|cos(x)| \leq 1[/itex] so clearly any fixed point will lie in [itex][-1,1][/itex] and [itex]\pi/2 > 1[/itex].
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    A very nice proof that it fails near pi/2. Another way I've seen the second part proved is using the mean value theorem.
  6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    Ramshop, that's the second time you've made a very informative post, thank you.

Also thank you to Tedjn for posting :)

Having seen the proof, it's logical the fixed-point theorem of Banach still applies, as no matter where you start, you'll eventually end up in the strict contraction "zone".
  7. Jun 8, 2010 #6
    One button calculator, cos, cos, cos,...
    Code (Text):
        |    _   _  _  _  _  _  _     _   |
        |   | |   | _||_|| ||_||_   | _|  |
        |   |_|.  | _| _||_||_| _|  | _|  |
        |                             rad |
        |                                 |
        |           +--------+            |
        |           | cosine |            |
        |           +--------+            |
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook