Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic censorship conjecture - status?

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1

martinbn

Science Advisor

What is the current status of the conjecture? I am interested in all possible aspects, counterexamples, attempts to formulate it in a mathematically rigorous way, proves in special cases, opinions, expectations and so on. Of course I have been trying to find information and have seen some things but the searches give a lot of useless links so I was wondering if anyone knows where to look. Overview articles would be great, the one that I am aware of is Penrose (1999).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3

martinbn

Science Advisor

Yes, I saw it, and it made me curious about the conjecture, for which I have only a very general and vague idea. Your question is specific and very interesting, and I hope someone will answer it. I remember the thread here that you started, then I was also trying to find some general information but gave up. Now I thought I would ask.

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

Haelfix

Science Advisor

Cosmic censorship might not hold in d > 4. The Gregory-Laflamme instability is believed to be a potential counterexample.

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Self-force as a cosmic censor
    Peter Zimmerman, Ian Vega, Eric Poisson, Roland Haas
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.3889

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook