1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Cosmology/Strings or Astroparticles

Tags:
  1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    Hi.

I am a senior undergraduate and recently I was given the opportunity to participate in an important event ( http://fisica.ugto.mx/~events/mexicopas/ ). This event consists in a series of courses focused on one of three fields: cosmology, astroparticle physics or string theory.

I plan to attend but I have to choose from one of them. My problem is that I don't know which one to choose.

My main interest is along quantum mechanics and its applications. I want to specialize in condensed matter physics and I think that my participation may be useful for my CV.

The cosmology event is one of the oldest so it is more recognized than the others, plus some of my friends will be there so I will have additional support. The problem choosing this will be: will this be relevant for my CV if I am pusuing specialization in condensed matter?

The strings event is old as well, and it encompasses many of my interests, but I fear it will be too hard, and none of my friends will be in there.

And lastly, I know nothing about astroparticle physics, I know a little bit of particle physics and general relativity, but I do not know how much of it can be useful for me (and if it will be relevant for mi CV).

The full schedule of the school is not published yet so I can not base my decisions on that!

What would you do?

Thank you!

PS: You can apply too!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2
    I didn't even know astroparticle physics was a thing. Upon research, it seems like it is a rather new/developing field. Deals with astronomical origins of elementary particles and how they relate to astrophysical phenomena. Sounds interesting to me.
    Even though none of them are actually quantum physics, I still think participating in any of them would certainly help you achieve your physics goals... it's good to be well-rounded I would say.
    EDIT: Also...
    :welcome:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted