Major in Physics or Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between two majors offered by a college's physics department: Physics and Physics/Astronomy. The group offers advice and suggests keeping options open to explore different areas of physics before deciding on a final pathway. They also mention the importance of core physics courses and the potential overlap between the two majors. The conversation also touches on the potential for engineering programs and the role of experimentalists and instrumentalists in physics. One member shares their experience with using Kapton film for a research project.
katatosh
Gold Member
Hello all! I have been taking an academic break from school for certain mental health reasons that I won't waste your time talking about. Now, I am only a freshman in college. My school's physics department currently offers 2 majors: Physics and Physics/Astronomy. Obviously, I have lots of time to decide what I want to study in grad school, but I think Cosmology sounds the most interesting.

Which major should I pick? My instincts tell me to major in Physics/Astronomy, but a physicist I met told me they are both good ideas, but he said he would take just Physics.
I want your guys' opinion. Which should I take?

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @katatosh, which do you fancy? In my opinion, you have already chosen, just need a ... Nudge is the word?

Hi again, @katatosh... Paternalistic is the word for me? Sorry, lost in translation, I'm spaniard.

I would take the Physics major, but this is very subjective.

mcastillo356 said:
Hi again, @katatosh... Paternalistic is the word for me? Sorry, lost in translation, I'm spaniard.
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, @katatosh, which do you fancy? In my opinion, you have already chosen, just need a ... Nudge is the word?
Thank you guys for the advice

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
katatosh said:
Which major should I pick? My instincts tell me to major in Physics/Astronomy, but a physicist I met told me they are both good ideas, but he said he would take just Physics.
When do you need to officially declare a major?

My personal feeling is that you should try to keep as many future pathways open as long as possible, because you're still early in the game, so to speak. You probably haven't been exposed to enough physics to be able to decide on your final pathway yet.

What is the difference (in terms of courses) between the two majors? In a physics major, you generally have certain courses that are specifically required, and a certain number of elective courses that you can choose freely. Does your physics/astronomy major simply fill some of the elective courses with specifically-required astronomy courses? In that case, you'd probably have a good background for grad school regardless of what you end up studying there.

If the physics/astronomy major replaces some of the specifically-required physics courses with astronomy courses, then I might be more cautious about choosing it.

Traditionally, the core physics courses that grad schools look for have been upper-level courses in: classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics + statistical mechanics.

I went to a small college that offered only a generic physics degree. I thought I would go into low-temperature physics, and in fact worked with a low-temperature group in my first year of grad school. However, I ended up getting my PhD in experimental elementary particle physics (neutrinos, specifically).

So I would be wary of pigeonholing oneself too early!

Likes CalcNerd, symbolipoint and Astronuc
katatosh said:
I want your guys' opinion. Which should I take?
Does one wish to be a theoretician or experimentalist or both? Or instrumentalist?

One could look for overlap in Physics and Physics/Astronomy, and if one can handle the load maybe do Physics/Astronomy and most or all of the Physics curricula.

Are there engineering programs at one's school?

Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
Are there engineering programs at one's school?
That's my question also, as my BS was in Engineering Physics. I took all my elective engineering courses in Electrical Engineering which really helped me with finding good jobs.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Astronuc
dlgoff said:
Engineering Physics. I took all my elective engineering courses in Electrical Engineering
Yes, I was also thinking of Engineering Physics or Applied Physics, and I like to differentiate between experimentalist and instrumentalist, the latter being one who develops better instruments with which to measure things and perform experiments.

Astronuc said:
Yes, I was also thinking of Engineering Physics or Applied Physics, and I like to differentiate between experimentalist and instrumentalist, the latter being one who develops better instruments with which to measure things and perform experiments.
bold by me

When I was working with my universities Van de Graff particle (protons) accelerator our targets were first thin films of carbon over a hole on an aluminum slide. But the targets wouldn't last too long before being torn up by the beam. Since my father worked for DuPont, I was able to get some of their Kapton film which could handle the constant impact of the protons. I also used a TV deflection yoke and its horizontal oscillator to illuminate the target with a small raster. Later, I was asked to give a talk about this work (Trace element analysis by heavy ion induced X-ray fluorescence) at a district Student Physics Society meeting where I had slides showing various organic sample spectrums. Something I'll never forget.

Likes Astronuc

1. What is the difference between a major in Physics and a major in Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

A major in Physics typically focuses on the fundamental principles of physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. On the other hand, a major in Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology includes additional coursework in astronomy and astrophysics, with a specific focus on cosmology, the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

2. What are some potential career paths for someone with a major in Physics or Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

Graduates with a major in Physics or Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, academia, engineering, data analysis, and science communication. They may also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and technology.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a major in Physics or Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

Students in these majors will develop a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and scientific inquiry. They will also gain knowledge in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, astrophysics, and cosmology. Additionally, they will learn how to conduct experiments, analyze data, and communicate their findings effectively.

4. What are some important considerations to keep in mind when choosing between a major in Physics and a major in Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

It is important to consider your interests and career goals when deciding between these two majors. If you are primarily interested in pursuing a career in cosmology or astrophysics, a major in Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology may be a better fit. However, if you have a broader interest in physics and want to keep your options open for different career paths, a major in Physics may be a better choice.

5. What are some tips for success in a major in Physics or Physics/Astronomy for Grad School Cosmology?

To succeed in these majors, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to be comfortable with abstract and complex concepts. It is also helpful to develop good study habits and time management skills, as these majors often involve challenging coursework and research projects. Additionally, taking advantage of research opportunities, seeking guidance from professors, and networking with professionals in the field can also contribute to success in these majors.