Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could CDs (Compact Disc) cause fire if I hang them outside the windows?

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    Hi, I live in 6th floor of an apartment. To prevent birds from pooping beside my window, I hang some unlabeled CDs along a string outside the window. The window is facing east, and people start complaining about it, that it might cause fire.

I wonder if that is even possible? I personally do not believe that but I need some advice. Thank you very much.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think the probability of fire is increased by some randomly oriented CDs dangling on a string, especially in an apartment building which I assume is not even wooden. What exactly is supposed to catch fire there?

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A CD will NOT act as a 'collecting mirror' because it is flat and not parabolic. That would be the only way that the Sun's rays could be focussed enough to cause burning.
    Something that IS a fire hazard is a spherical glass paperweight left in the sun. I have a groove in a table top where the Sun's image was burned into the wood as the Sun moved overhead. Also, a concave shaving or makeup mirror could do the same thing if you were unlucky.
    All mirrors should be covered with a cloth when not in use. But not to prevent fires - just to discourage vanity. haha

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    Thank you for your replies, nevertheless I have removed the CD just to prevent further complaints :)

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5
    Perhaps >500 cd's carefully arranged into a paraboloid could cause a fire :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook