1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could CDs (Compact Disc) cause fire if I hang them outside the windows?

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    Hi, I live in 6th floor of an apartment. To prevent birds from pooping beside my window, I hang some unlabeled CDs along a string outside the window. The window is facing east, and people start complaining about it, that it might cause fire.

I wonder if that is even possible? I personally do not believe that but I need some advice. Thank you very much.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think the probability of fire is increased by some randomly oriented CDs dangling on a string, especially in an apartment building which I assume is not even wooden. What exactly is supposed to catch fire there?

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A CD will NOT act as a 'collecting mirror' because it is flat and not parabolic. That would be the only way that the Sun's rays could be focussed enough to cause burning.
    Something that IS a fire hazard is a spherical glass paperweight left in the sun. I have a groove in a table top where the Sun's image was burned into the wood as the Sun moved overhead. Also, a concave shaving or makeup mirror could do the same thing if you were unlucky.
    All mirrors should be covered with a cloth when not in use. But not to prevent fires - just to discourage vanity. haha

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    Thank you for your replies, nevertheless I have removed the CD just to prevent further complaints :)

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5
    Perhaps >500 cd's carefully arranged into a paraboloid could cause a fire :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook