Could I get a second pair of eyes on this?

• Thread starter dangerboyy
  • Start date
OP warned about not using the homework template
1. Link to problem and the answer I got - https://ibb.co/ncGfDA

2. I got an answer, but I was wondering if this is correct or not? Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?

3. I attempted my answer (hopefully finished) in the link above

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Link to full question and my answer at the bottom of text

I got an answer, but I was wondering if this is correct or not? Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?

https://ibb.co/ncGf DA
Hello @dangerboyy . :welcome:

Please use the homework template provided when you open a Thread.

For reference:
image.jpg

Attachments

Likes dangerboyy
Hello @dangerboyy . :welcome:

Please use the homework template provided when you open a Thread.
Sorry, I'll keep this in mind. I'm a newby here who didn't pay enough attention to how to do the template, simply hoping my text would suffice.

edit - post is now in the proper template i believe

Attachments

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Am I correct to say (in part c) that the vertical component of the hinge's force will be equal to the sum of the vertical forces being exerted in the negative direction?
Not quite. Wouldn't you need to include the vertical component of FT in your calculation of (FH)y?

Likes dangerboyy
Not quite. Wouldn't you need to include the vertical component of FT in your calculation of (FH)y?
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't exactly sure how to get an answer if I did so. May I request guidance?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The system is in static equilibrium. So, what can you say about ΣFx and ΣFy?

Likes dangerboyy
The system is in static equilibrium. So, what can you say about ΣFx and ΣFy?
Well, ΣFx and ΣFy must both equal 0 in static equilibrium. How could I separate Fy in the positive direction among the cord and hinge?

edit - a light bulb turned on in my brain - Could I find Fy of the cord, then subtract from the total Fy in the positive direction to find that of the hinge?

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't exactly sure how to get an answer if I did so. May I request guidance?
You’ve done everything correctly except when you balanced the vertical forces you forgot to include the tension. In exactly the same way you included Ft cos(30) in the horizontal forces add the vertical component into to equation with the vertical forces. It’s just one more term, and you already know the value.

Likes dangerboyy
You’ve done everything correctly except when you balanced the vertical forces you forgot to include the tension. In exactly the same way you included Ft cos(30) in the horizontal forces add the vertical component into to equation with the vertical forces. It’s just one more term, and you already know the value.
Thanks! I believe I have this well understood now. Thanks to all others who helped me look past my stupidity as well. I'm brand new to this community, and this was a great first experience. Thanks

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Thanks! I believe I have this well understood now. Thanks to all others who helped me look past my stupidity as well. I'm brand new to this community, and this was a great first experience. Thanks
OK. Great! Welcome to PhysicsForums.

Likes dangerboyy