Could it just be 4 different dimensions not 11?

• Thread starter clm321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the theory of 11 different dimensions instead of just 1-4 proposed in the m theory and string theory solves some problems with inconsistencies in the theory, but it is not clear if this also holds for M-theory.
clm321
what problems are solved by the theory of 11 different dimensions instead of just 1-4 proposed in the m theory and string theory

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

As far as I can see the ten dimensions of string theory are not there to solve a problem in the real world, but they are required for consistency of the theory itself. In any other dimension the theory would contain negative norm states / tachyons which are usually an indication that something went wrong in the quantization.

I am not sure if this carries over to M-theory.

ok well well why is it that there are 10 dimentions shown in the string theory instead of just 1-4 . and what i ment was what questions are answered about the univers/possible universes by the 7 different theorys?

clm321 said:
why is it that there are 10 dimentions shown in the string theory instead of just 1-4.
As I said, superstring theory is inconsistent in D<>10.

clm321 said:
what questions are answered about the univers/possible universes by the 7 different theorys?
Which 7 theories? 5 string theories, supergravity plus m-theory? This is a rather global question ...

well I am still studying these theories iv only found and interest in this just recently but isn't it the m theory that has 11 different dimentions or maybe superstring theory I am not exacly sure

clm321 said:
Well, I am still studying these theories ... I've only found ... and interest in this just recently ... but isn't it M-theory that has 11 [different] dimensions, or maybe superstring theory. I am not exacly sure.

Please!

I'm sorry english and grammar have never been what i was good at.

There is a forum similar to PF called "Migui foro" in Spanish. I can not tell about other languages, but sure people can suggest. Same with reading, it is a pity that most of the documentation about advanced physics is in English.

oh well its niot that i don't speak english its that I am 17 and don't really try very hard to make sure my grammar is correct

Ah, I c. Well my suggestion is that you can browse a little bit here and there in this forum to grasp what do they mean with "dimensions". Of course having a 3rd, 4th, or 21th dimension is not to say that we have new theories for each of them. What it happens is that we have some theories using 4 dimensions (eg General Relativity, special relativity, electromagnetism), some theories using 10 dimensions (superstring theory), some using 11 dimensions (supergravity, m-theory), some using 26...

ok thanks that hepls alot.

1. What are the 11 dimensions in string theory?

The 11 dimensions in string theory are 3 spatial dimensions (length, width, and height), 1 time dimension, and 7 additional dimensions that are believed to be compactified or curled up in tiny loops.

2. Why do some scientists propose that there are only 4 dimensions?

Some scientists propose that there are only 4 dimensions because the concept of 11 dimensions is difficult to comprehend and has not yet been proven through scientific experiments or observations. Additionally, certain theories, such as the theory of relativity, can be explained with just 4 dimensions.

3. How do we know that there aren't just 4 dimensions?

Scientists have evidence from experiments and observations that support the existence of the 11 dimensions proposed in string theory. For example, the behavior of subatomic particles can only be explained by the existence of extra dimensions.

4. What is the significance of 11 dimensions in string theory?

The significance of 11 dimensions in string theory is that it provides a way to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) and explain the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

5. Could our perception of 3-dimensional space be an illusion?

Some scientists theorize that our perception of 3-dimensional space could be an illusion and that there may be more dimensions that we are not able to perceive. This is supported by mathematical models and theories such as string theory and the holographic principle.