Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could it just be 4 different dimensions not 11?

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    what problems are solved by the theory of 11 different dimensions instead of just 1-4 proposed in the m theory and string theory

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

As far as I can see the ten dimensions of string theory are not there to solve a problem in the real world, but they are required for consistency of the theory itself. In any other dimension the theory would contain negative norm states / tachyons which are usually an indication that something went wrong in the quantization.

I am not sure if this carries over to M-theory.

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    ok well well why is it that there are 10 dimentions shown in the string theory instead of just 1-4 . and what i ment was what questions are answered about the univers/possible universes by the 7 different theorys?

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

As I said, superstring theory is inconsistent in D<>10.

Which 7 theories? 5 string theories, supergravity plus m-theory? This is a rather global question ...

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    well im still studying these theorys iv only found and interest in this just recently but isnt it the m theory that has 11 different dimentions or maybe superstring theory im not exacly sure

7. Jan 21, 2010 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Please!

8. Jan 21, 2010 #7
    I'm sorry english and grammar have never been what i was good at.

9. Jan 21, 2010 #8

arivero

Gold Member

There is a forum similar to PF called "Migui foro" in Spanish. I can not tell about other languages, but sure people can suggest. Same with reading, it is a pity that most of the documentation about advanced physics is in English.

10. Jan 21, 2010 #9
    oh well its niot that i dont speak english its that im 17 and dont really try very hard to make sure my grammar is correct

11. Jan 21, 2010 #10

arivero

Gold Member

Ah, I c. Well my suggestion is that you can browse a little bit here and there in this forum to grasp what do they mean with "dimensions". Of course having a 3rd, 4th, or 21th dimension is not to say that we have new theories for each of them. What it happens is that we have some theories using 4 dimensions (eg General Relativity, special relativity, electromagnetism), some theories using 10 dimensions (superstring theory), some using 11 dimensions (supergravity, m-theory), some using 26...

12. Jan 22, 2010 #11
    ok thanks that hepls alot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook