Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could people live inside the Sun?

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    Sounds a bit crazy.
    But you have an almost infinite energy supply on tap.

Easy to get to as well.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2
    Have you watched stargate universe? They are on a ship that gets it's energy by flying inside a star and collecting the sweet sweet honey. Just apply that shows technology to a house and youd be living in the sun.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    No I haven't, is it any good?

Anyway it seems I am not the only one with this kind of idea, inside the Sun would be an idea place to live,

I have never heard of Stargate Universe, but apparently it is on Sky TV in the UK, I don't have Sky TV.

I will have to see if I can watch some of it.

How does it go inside a star without melting?

5. May 30, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could people live inside the Sun? Yes, but only during the night when it's not on.

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    Well... they got shields or something not really sure it was made by the "ancients" so it's a really really advanced ship they say. As for if the show is good or not... It's ok at times I guess :( The first episode is worth watching if you can find it tho.

7. May 30, 2010 #6
    :rofl:

@alice is this a serious question? How do you propose we get the centre of the Sun, it seems you think it's 'easy to get to'... Once in the centre of the Sun how would it be useful in anyway? Where would we get OUR energy from, who cares about electrical energy to power our super Air Conditioners. Would we build some huge farm in the middle of the Sun too? Or wait the plants would need sunlight so we would build an orbiting farm always pointing inwards to make super growth of the crops. Then since it's easy to come and go from the centre of the Sun we would just travel back and forth. We would also bring with us all of the Great lakes for our water and it would sit behind the farm so it didn't all evaporate... and it would provide water for our farmland and for us.

This is freaking brilliant. Wonder how much it'll all come up to... I say no more than 10$

8. May 30, 2010 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_core

Plus there's plenty of gamma and X-ray radiation.

In short, the answer is no.

See this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Core - and following sections.

and it is not easy to get to - the radiation pressure is rather phenomenal - and being surrounded by a hot plasma is not conducive to survival.

9. May 30, 2010 #8

Well it is easy to get to that's the easy bit.
    We could do it now, all you have to do is use the space stations boosters to thrust it towards the Sun and that's it the Sun's Gravity would pull you in no problem.

The tricky bit is of course dealing with the heat but that I think is 'doable' you would need some kind of force field to protect us from the intense heat. As we have a huge energy supply we should be able to biuld some re-fridgeeration system to keep the temperature bearable.
    We don't have to go to he hottest part or in the center which will have huge pressure, just under the surface to take advantage of the free energy.

10. May 30, 2010 #9

You don't have to go to the core just under the surface where condition should be more pleasant.

11. May 30, 2010 #10

You don't have to go to the core just under the surface where condition should be less hostile.

12. May 30, 2010 #11

Evo

No, it won't work.

I'm sorry but this post violates our guidelines for overly speculative posts.

closed.

13. May 30, 2010 #12

Astronuc

Under the surface the temperature is about 6000-10000 K. It's a wee bit toasty. :biggrin: No solids - just gas/plasma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook